2003 Jun 29
Vancouver Whitecaps Women 1 - 0 Seattle Sounders Women
Swangard Stadium, Burnaby, BC
45' VAN - Lang (Moscato)
Vancouver: Erin McLeod; Liz Conner, Sandi Potis, Gillian Hicks, Sophie Spilborghs; Sara Maglio (Kelly Haxton 75'), Amy Apps (Tera Kasubuchi 65'), Carmelina Moscato (Carey Gustafson 82'), Andrea Neil; Rosalyn Hicks (Amber Allen 60'), Diana Artuso (Kara Lang 44'). Substitutes not used: Sian Bagshawe, Martina Holan.
Seattle: Meghan Miller; Katie Miyake, Nicole Martinez (Tammy Hartung 62'), Shannon Forslund; Nikki Gamble, Melissa Bennett, Rachel Rodrick, Alicia Milyak, Hayley McNallan; Brenda Mueller, Janelle Munnis (Sophie Spickard 69'). Substitutes not used: Lisa Brookens, Dana Kimble, Shelby Brownfield.
Match report from the Whitecaps:
In a match that is a likely preview of the Western Conference Final, the Whitecaps F.C. Women's Team defeated the Seattle Sounders 1-0 on a goal by 16-year-old sensation Kara Lang.
45' Vanc Kara Lang (Carmelina Moscato)- Moscato threaded a great ball through to Lang, who had just come into the game a minute earlier, and the young striker deftly pushed the ball wide of the keeper with the outside of her boot from 8 yards. It was her second goal of the season.
- Seattle keeper Meghan Miller made a number of big saves including a blast from Ros Hicks at 12', a diving save off Carmelina Moscato at 46', and a huge stop on a thunderous shot from Lang on a 3-on-1 at 60'.
- Whitecaps keeper Erin McLeod made 3 saves for her 3rd shutout of the season. Her most difficult one was a diving grab off a shot from Mellissa Bennett at 74'.
- After starting the play, Whitecaps winger Kelly Haxton missed a tap-in at 90' on the cross from Lang.
- The win avenged a 3-1 loss to Seattle in Vancouver's home-opener on May 11.
- The Whitecaps are undefeated in 8 games, going 7-0-1 and outscoring their opponents 31-5.
Shots: 16 10
Saves: 3 6
Corners: 5 5
Fouls: 15 5
Offsides: 3 3
81' VAN - Moscato cautioned
Referees: Bogdan Botoi; Marco Biagini, Mary Ann Legg; Marco Arruda