2000 April 2

Seattle Sounders 2 - 0 Washington State U-23 Select
Preseason match, French Field, Kent, WA
55' SEA: Storkson (Jenkins)
72' SEA: Howes

Seattle: Bill May (Preston Burpo 46); Dick McCormick, Kieran Barton, Scott Jenkins; Andrew Gregor (Andrei Alexandrescu 77), Sean Henderson (Brian Wood 46), Chris Scotti (Granthic Chattergee 77), Greg Howes (Manuel Ruiz 77); Rob Baarts, Viet Nguyen, Erik Storkson (George Souza 77).

Washington State U-23 Select: Jeremiah Doyle (Sims 58); James Fioretti, Kevin Houck, Trevor Korbol, Mike Eiseman; Chris Farnsworth, Hulen, Seth Altshuler, Jamie Bloomstine, Toulasky, Joe Watson. Other substitutes: Jeb Thomas, Tim Dapar, Ell, Goodfellow, Zakjako, Benjamin Somoza, Jake Sagare, Mark Hogenhout.

Match report by Ron Stickney:

After a scoreless first half, Sounders goals by veteran Erik Storkson and rookie Greg Howes gave Seattle a 2-0 win over the Washington State U-23 Select in a preseason match at French Field in Kent. Midfielder Howes got a lot of playing time and impressed, marking well on defense and handling the ball well on offense. Trialist Rob Baarts played the full 90 as a forward, indicating that he is a strong contender for a spot on the roster.

First Half
The Sounders dominated the first half by outshooting the U-23s 11-1, but the U-23 defense kept the scoreboard blank. Sean Henderson took some early nice shots, the best in the 4th minute when his 15-yard blast up the middle was caught by goalkeeper Jeremiah Doyle. Baarts fed newcomer Andrew Gregor in stride up the middle for an excellent chance, but Gregor wasted the opportunity by shooting well over the bar. He'll blame that on this being early in training camp. Baarts tried an acrobatic volley from the left side that was on goal, but comfortably saved by Doyle. Near the end of the half, newcomer Chris Scotti forced a good save after a series of Sounders passes around the area.

Halftime:  Seattle 0 - 0 Washington U-23
The U-23s took the momentum at the start of the second half, blasting a 15-yard shot just over the bar after some nice passing.

55' Storkson (Jenkins). The Sounders struck suddenly on a counterattack. Scott Jenkins curled a long forward ball from the left side to the right side a few yards inside the penalty area. Just before Doyle could pluck the ball from the air, Storkson climbed way up the ladder to head the ball over Doyle's fingertips and into the net. Truly an awsome goal from Storkson's chrome dome.

Scotti was given a good chance when he was served on the run with only the keeper to beat but he sent the shot wide of the near post.

72' Howes. On a corner kick play, the ball ended up with Howes just inside the arc. Howes shot low and hard through the crowd, which included goalkeeper Sims. The guard at the far post slid down and cleared the ball with his foot, but assistant referee Fred Mabbott raised his flag, then sprinted up the touch line, judging that the ball had entirely crossed the goal line before being cleared.

The best shots remaining came from Viet Nguyen, whose shot on a corner kick play deflected off Sims' chest and out for another corner kick, and Dick McCormick, just wide with a 25-yarder.

Final:  Seattle 2 - 0 Washington U-23

Shots:  SEA 21, WAS 12
Saves:  SEA 1; WAS 8
Corners:  SEA 7, WAS 2
Fouls:  SEA 9, WAS 6
Offside:  SEA 1, WAS 0
Referee: Kevin Boisen; Asst. Refs: Fred Mabbott, Garth Trimble; 4th Official: Julie Hosking
Attendance: 877