2000 Jul 1

Seattle Sounders Select 1 - 2 Spokane Shadow
Memorial Stadium, Seattle

27 SEA Watson (Schaper)
60 SPO - Dorrington (Higgins)
82 SPO - Houck (Faridnia)

Seattle: Chad Olsen; Christian VanBloomstein (Kevin Zamira 35), Mike Casale, Bryn Ritchie; Scott Burcar (Brett Lasby 70), Chris Farnsworth, Mark Hogenhout (Manny Ruiz 88), Chad Brown, Sean Sylvis (Marc Barros 65); Rob Schaper, Joe Watson.

Spokane: Ryan Wittstruck (Brian Mullen 73); Aaron Grubb, Bret Houck, Jace Jones, Kenny Krestian; JC Fernandez, Abbas Faridnia, Mike Dorrington, Mike Thompson; Garth Cummings, Zane Higgins (Jeff Rose 84).

Match report by Ron Stickney:

The Seattle Sounders Select had a 1-0 lead at the half, but the Spokane Shadow scored two second-half goals to win 2-1. The winning goal came soon after Seattle's Bryn Ritchie was sent off for a reckless challenge.

Joe Watson manufactured the first goal to give Seattle the lead. Mike Dorrington leveled the match with a tap-in goal set up by Zane Higgins. Bret Houck headed in an Abbas Faridnia free kick for the match winner.

First Half

Garth Cummings took the first shot 10 minutes in for Spokane, a 20-yarder blasted just over the bar. Mike Thompson tried a 20-yarder from the right, and goalkeeper Chad Olsen collapsed for the leg save, with the rebound hitting a Spokane attacker and going out wide of goal.

Christian VanBloomstein took Seattle's first shot in the 24th minute, a 25-yarder that rolled two yards wide of the far post.

Higgins was through up the middle and drew Olsen out, then dished right for Thompson, and Olsen got over to pressure Thompson as he bent a shot just over the bar when he ought to have hit the target.

27' Watson (Schaper). Rob Schaper fought off a defender to win a ball sent into the right corner. Schaper crossed to Watson who was surrounded by three defenders. Watson chipped the ball ahead, then got to it just before goalkeeper Ryan Wittstruck and Watson chipped the ball up, over Wittstruck and into the side netting by the far post. 1-0 Seattle.

Chris Farnsworth took a 25-yard Seattle free kick and hit the crossbar by the top near corner. Later a Farnsworth 25-yarder up the middle was right to Wittstruck.

Spokane had three chances in the final five minutes of the half. Houck rocketed a 35-yard Spokane free kick just wide of the far post, with Olsen diving sideways to make sure. G Cummings beat Olsen to a ball just outside the left corner of the penalty area and rolled the ball past Olsen towards goal, but Mike Casale chased down the roller to prevent the goal. G Cummings fired from the arc and Olsen dove to push the ball wide for a corner kick.

Halftime: Seattle 1 0 Spokane

Seattle had the first chances in the second half. Watson fired a 20-yarder just over the bar. Farnsworth tried from 35 yards but missed the top left corner.

60' Dorrington (Higgins). G Cummings was open on the left for a pass and sent a cross in front of the goal area. Higgins met the cross out from the far post and drew Olsen out before sending the ball back across the goal mouth, and Dorrington ran in all alone for the easy tap-in. 1-1.

From the left corner of the penalty area, Higgins fired just over the top far corner.

Brian Mullen came on as goalkeeper after Wittstruck injured his ankle going after a cross.

At 77', Ritchie made an ill-advised, reckless challenge for a ball, sliding in and upending his opponent. Ritchie was shown the red card and Seattle were down to 10 men.

Watson's 25-yarder from the left was saved at the lower near corner by Mullen.

82' Houck (Faridnia). Faridnia's 35-yard free kick from in front of the Seattle bench curled to the 6-yard line, where Houck rose above the defenders and headed the ball down inside the right post. 2-1 Spokane.

Spokane's defense kept Seattle from any good chances the rest of the way to preserve their win.

Final: Seattle 1 2 Spokane

Seattle Spokane
Shots: 10 8
Saves: 2 2
Corners: 9 3
Fouls: 11 11
Offsides: 2 2

19 Farnsworth (SEA) cautioned for unsporting behavior after a teammate was whistled for a foul.
71 Faridnia (SPO) cautioned for shirt grabbing.
77 Ritchie (SEA) sent off for a reckless sliding challenge.

Referee: Jason Panos; Asst Refs: Jeff Jarvis, Ryan Ottele; 4th Official: Steve Brannon.

Attendance: 100