2000 Jun 18
Seattle Sounders Select 1 - 0 Cascade Surge
Seattle Memorial Stadium, Seattle, WA
60 SEA - Brown

Seattle: Chad Olsen; Kevin Zamira, Andy Smith, Marc Barros; Brett Lasby, Chad Brown, Chris Farnsworth, Sean Sylvis, Manny Ruiz; Rob Schaper, Ian Chursky.

Cascade: Richard Goddard; Tim Bishop, Roger Groome, Aaron Rose, Blake Drew; Andrew Waring, Dusty Holbrook, Jim Albert (Juan Galavis 76), Matt Olsen; Jason Aldous (Shannon Hopkins 45), Miguel Camarena (Matt Wheaton 61).

Match report by Ron Stickney:

A 30-yard free kick by Chad Brown was the whole difference as the Seattle Sounders Select beat the Cascade Surge 1-0. Chad Olsen got the shutout for the Select. The Sounders Select extended their perfect league record to 8-0-0.

The Sounders Select were without 8 players who were at a U-23 western regional tournament all weekend. The Washington U-23 team reportedly advanced to the tournament final, to be played this same day.

First Half

Cascade had most of the good chances in the first half. Andrew Waring's 25-yarder was the first good shot at 6 minutes, and C Olsen saved it. Miguel Camarena was open from 25 yards, but volleyed over the bar. Matt Olsen was sprung nicely and looked to be 1v1 against C Olsen, but the offside flag was raised on a close call. M Olsen beat a pair of defenders to send a low cross into the goal area and Jason Aldous got a foot on it, but the ball squirted wide of goal and was cleared by the defense. In the 40th, Waring's 15-yarder from a cross was over C Olsen and hit the crossbar squarely.

Seattle had just two good chances in the half. At 18' Chris Farnsworth fed a ball to Manny Ruiz, who beat his marker on the left side and fired Seattle's first shot, saved comfortably by Richard Goddard. In the 34th Brett Lasby carried the ball into the right side of the penalty area and fired just over the top near corner.

Halftime: Seattle 0 - 0 Cascade

Shannon Hopkins entered at the half for Cascade and soon had a chance from the arc, sent over the bar.

10 minutes into the 2nd half Seattle had a flurry of shots. Ian Chursky battled to win possession of a forward pass, then two passes gave Rob Schaper a 1v1 chance against Goddard. The goalkeeper blocked Schaper's shot, then two shots were blocked by defenders, and finally Farnsworth had a chance from 20 yards but he sent it high and wide to end the threat.

Hopkins came back with another Surge shot from the left side, sent wide.

For Seattle, Chursky's shot from 15 was pushed wide by a diving Goddard, who was took awhile to get back up.

60' Brown. Seattle were awarded a free kick after Cascade substitute Juan Galavis fouled Sean Sylvis. Brown's 30-yard free kick from a bit left of center curled low around the wall and into the bottom far corner past a diving Goddard. Seattle 1-0.

Cascade had the rest of the good shots but could not find the net. A loose ball popped to Dusty Holbrook for a 25-yard try, sent right to C Olsen. M Olsen tried a 20-yarder and was way over. Waring was a yard over from 25. In the final minute, Cascade earned an indirect free kick when a Seattle defender obstructed to let a ball run over the bye line. The dangerous free kick play was wasted, though, when Cascade committed a foul in front of the goal.

Final: Seattle 1 - 0 Cascade

Seattle Cascade
Shots: 11 13
Saves: 4 3
Corners: 3 1
Fouls: 17 12
Offsides: 1 4
75 Wheaton (CAS) cautioned for a hard foul.
90 Schaper (SEA) cautioned for a foul from behind.

Referee: Kevin O'Brien; Asst Refs: Eric Knudsen, John Pfeil; 4th Official: Mike Fox
Attendance: 114