2000 Jun 28

Seattle Sounders Select 0 - 1 Yakima Reds
Memorial Stadium, Seattle

67 YAK – Foisie (Sagare)

Seattle: Jonas Tanzer; Christian VanBloomstein, Bryn Ritchie, Marc Barros; Sean Sylvis (Chad Brown 59), Mark Hogenhout (Kevin Zamira 88), Benjamin Somoza, Chris Farnsworth, Rob Schaper (Andy Smith 81); Manny Ruiz (Joe Watson 57), Ian Chursky (Brett Lasby 73).

Yakima: Shawn Tobias; Nate Nelson, Jason Timm, Bob Schefter (Scott Bertram 82), Aaron Heinzen; Mike Schefter (Luiz Marcelo Machado 46), Zach Kingsley, Sy Reeves, Dayo Oyetuga; Greg Foisie, Jake Sagare.

Match report by Ron Stickney:

The Yakima Reds outplayed the Seattle Sounders Select for 80 minutes, then withstood the Seattle attack for the final 10 minutes to deal the Select their first home loss in the regular season. The lone goal was scored in the 67th minute by Yakima’s Greg Foisie and assisted by Jake Sagare, both of whom play for the University of Washington in the fall. Yakima earned the win, outshooting a lackluster Seattle 9-2 in the first half and 11-6 in the second.

First Half

There were few chances early. In the 4th, Mike Schefter headed a cross on goal from the 18-yard line, but Jonas Tanzer comfortably saved at the near post. A dangerous Yakima cross fell a yard from the far post, but a Seattle defender outleaped the pack to head it out for a corner kick. Zach Kingsley tried a 25-yarder but was well over the bar.

Ian Chursky gathered a loose ball and shot on goal, but he was flagged for being offside on the play. Ben Somoza’s far-post cross from a throw-in was just over Chursky’s head.

At 31' Manny Ruiz took Seattle's first shot of the match when a long Somoza throw-in took an astroturf bounce over the defenders to Ruiz, right in front of goal. With his back to goal, Ruiz chested the ball and tried a bicycle kick but sent it high over the bar.

Yakima then created some good attacking play. Sagare held the ball at the top of the penalty area, then eluded the defenders for a low shot from the top of the arc, just wide of the left post. Kingsley stole a pass in the Seattle backfield and was nearly in alone against Tanzer, but Marc Barros made a nice sliding tackle to clear the ball and Sagare's shot from the clearance was way high.

At 40' Ruiz put the ball in the net for Seattle but he was flagged for being offside.

Yakima's Foisie had a good look from the right and rocketed a shot, but it deflected out off a Seattle defender for a corner.

In the final minute Seattle's Chris Farnsworth carried up the middle and tried to surprise goalkeeper Shawn Tobias from 35 yards but Tobias was home for his first save.

Halftime: Seattle 0 – 0 Yakima

Early in the second half Ruiz was cautioned for a pair of unnecessary fouls and he was soon replaced by Joe Watson.

Yakima resumed their attack when Sy Reeves fed a short cross to Kingsley 6 yards from goal, but he couldn't control the ball and the defense cleared it from danger. Foisie's cross from the left to the far side gave Sagare a chance with a header, but the shot went well wide. Foisie took a 15-yard shot from the left, but Christian VanBloomstein poked his foot in to deflect it out for a corner.

Seattle appeared to have a great chance in the 61st when Chursky got by his defender and broke straight up the middle, directly at goal, with a lone defender a step behind. The defender tangled feet with Chursky trying to get around him and Chursky went down 25 yards from goal. The whistle was blown for a direct free kick, but to the disappointment of the home side the seemingly deserved "mandatory" red card stayed in the referee's pocket. Mark Hogenhout sent the 25-yard free kick well over the bar.

On Seattle's next attack Watson fed the ball ahead to Chursky, who dribbled straight ahead into the penalty area with three defenders around him. The defenders were careful with Chursky because a marginal foul would at this time have likely been called for a penalty kick, so Chursky was allowed to get the 15-yard shot off and Tobias collapsed to save the low shot aimed at the far post.

Yakima substitute Luiz Marcelo Machado, a Brazilian, headed on goal from Reeves' cross and Tanzer made the save at his feet.

67' Foisie (Sagare). Sagare's cross from the right side went past a few players in front of goal and was collected beyond the far post by Foisie, who turned away from goal to make space and fired from the 18-yard line straight into the bottom left corner, beating the diving Tanzer to the near post. 1-0 Yakima.

Seattle came right back with a chance when substitute Chad Brown crossed to Watson's head but the shot went over the bar.

Yakima then had a few chances at an insurance goal. Machado fired over from 25. A cross from the left gave an unmarked Sagare an open shot from 15 yards on the right, but he bent the shot the wrong way and it missed the top near corner by a foot. Foisie fooled Barros 45 yards from goal with no defender covering and broke in on goal, but the low shot was just wide of the far post.

Seattle finally put some persistent pressure on Yakima's goal for the final 10 minutes. Seattle had scored plenty of late goals this season to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat or the jaws of a draw, but they came up short this time. An unmarked Farnsworth was open on the right in the 82nd and was fed by substitute Andy Smith, but Tobias made a diving, one-handed save and his defense cleared the loose ball.

The 89th minute brought Yakima's last good shot, a 30-yarder by Kingsley that forced a diving save by Tanzer.

Seattle created two good chances in the final minute. Watson beat a pair of defenders to fire from the arc at the top right corner, but Tobias parried the ball straight up and caught it when it came back down. A ball cleared from the Yakima penalty area was put right back in and Smith volleyed from 20 yards, just missing the top near corner. The referee added three minutes, but the Yakima defense held fast to preserve their victory.

Final: Seattle 0 – 1 Yakima

Seattle Yakima
Shots: 8 20
Saves: 4 4
Corners: 2 6
Fouls: 18 19
Offsides: 4 1
51 Ruiz (SEA) cautioned for persistent fouling.
60 Kingsley (YAK) cautioned.
84 Brown (SEA) cautioned for a foul at the touch line.

Referee: Fred Mabbott; Asst Refs: Scott Lawerence, Jeff Hosking; 4th Official: Danny Eng

Attendance: 120