2001 Jul 3

Seattle Sounders Select  6 - 2  Cascade Surge
Issaquah High School Stadium, Issaquah, WA

6' SEA - Watson (Reeves)
51' SEA - Watson (Foisie)
61' SEA - Foisie (Reeves)
67' SEA - Sleeth (Raymond)
69' CAS - Gilgunn (Maragh)
79' SEA - Sleeth (Farnsworth)
84' SEA - Reeves (McNeley)
90' CAS - Maragh (Figueroa)

Seattle: Carlos Castellanos; Todd Stauber, Kurt Ness, Aaron Heinzen (Abbas Faridnia 56'), Christian van Blommestein; James Vert (Chris Farnsworth 53'), Sy Reeves, Billy Sleeth, Casey Barber; Greg Foisie (Evan McNeley 67'), Joe Watson (Chris Raymond 56').

Cascade: Andy Ward; Roger Groome, Kellen Lawler (Stan Marcello 58'), Sean Chighizola, Aaron Sherrill; Peter Gilgunn, Ahmed Figueroa, Ryan McClellan (Oliver Sanders 74'), Tom Whittaker; Abe Gardner (Allan Maragh 65'), Justin Rivard (Danny Agee 69').

Match report by Ron Stickney:

The Seattle Sounders Select opened up a 4-0 lead before the visiting Cascade Surge found the net, and seven goals in the second half left the final score 6-2. This match had been rescheduled due to the Sounders Select playing in the US Open Cup. The referees showed up late because they had been told that the match was at Interbay, on the opposite side of the big pond.

First Half

6' Watson (Reeves). Seattle scored on the first shot of the match. Sy Reeves' throw-in from the left side, 12 yards from the flag, sailed over the entire crowd and the unmarked Joe Watson ran at the far post and knocked it in off the bounce, beating goalkeeper Andy Ward to the opposite side. 1-0 Seattle.

The 17th minute saw just the second shot of  the match when Seattle's Billy Sleeth crossed past goal for Casey Barber, who touched the ball too far and miskicked the shot from the 18-yard line.

Cascade's first shot came in the 23rd, a 20-yarder from a long free kick, but defended well and forced wide.

For Seattle, Greg Foisie was free on the right from a well-timed run and carried into the penalty area with only Ward to beat, but again the setup touch was too strong and Foisie could only hit the outside of the net. James Vert's pass up the middle put Sleeth free for a shot from 20 yards, blocked by Ward for a save, and the rebound went to Watson alone on the left, but his shot was blocked wide of goal by defender Roger Groome.

Cascade's Peter Gilgunn fired up the middle from 30 yards but was a yard high.

Sleeth's cross from the right near the end line was almost chested in by Ahmed Figueroa at the far post, giving Seattle a corner kick. From the corner kick, Sleeth's 10-yarder was blocked away by Ward.

For the visitors, Sean Chiguizola's 20-yard shot from Figueroa's free kick was just a foot wide of the post and the diving goalkeeper Carlos Castellanos.

A minute from time, Sleeth put Foisie free, who got close to the right post for a shot that was blocked away by the charging Ward, and Groome cleared the rebound sideways just before Watson could get to it.

Halftime: Seattle 1 - 0 Cascade

The defenses would get rather porous in the second half as both sides put a priority on attacking the goal. After being held by Groome, Watson put a 35-yard free kick at the lower near corner, but Ward easily saved.

Cascade's Groome chested down a free kick in the penalty area, and Tony Whittaker's quick 12-yard shot forced a great diving save by Castellanos.

51' Watson (Foisie). Vert got around the defense on the right to drop a diagonal roller for an open Foisie, whose 15-yard shot couldn't be controlled by Ward. The goalkeeper sort of shovelled the ball up and sideways a yard, and Watson followed up and tapped the rebound into the open net from a yard. 2-0 Seattle.

Cascade's attack started showing strong signs of life at this point. Gilgunn's 20-yard rocket was blocked overhead by Castellanos' arms, then the keeper dove forward to pull the rebound off an attacker's foot. Ryan McClellan's timed run on the left put him free into the penalty area, but Castellanos and a defender double-teamed to pressure the shot wide.

61' Foisie (Reeves). With Cascade pushing forward more, they left space in the back for Seattle to use. Substitute Chris Farnsworth was sprung into space on the right by Foisie. Farnsworth's 12-yard shot at the near post was popped up by Ward for a save, then headed wide of goal by a defender. Reeves claimed the ball and dropped a diagonal pass to the penalty spot for an unmarked Foisie, who finished inside the right post. 3-0 Seattle.

Sub Chris Raymond's diagonal through ball gave Reeves a 15-yard shot from the left, sent a yard wide of the far post.

67' Sleeth (Raymond). Attacking up the middle into the penalty area, Raymond layed off a short pass outside to Sleeth, who beat Ward with a shot to the far side. 4-0 Seattle.

69' Gilgunn (Maragh). Cascade responded with a series of shots that ended with a goal. Aaron Sherrill's 25-yard blast was block-saved nicely by Castellanos. Allan Maragh sent the cleared ball back in for Whittaker's header from the spot, deflected just wide by a defender's head for a corner. Maragh's corner kick from the right was sent past goal and headed in off the close post by Gilgunn. 4-1 Seattle.

After carrying up the middle through traffic for a distance, Figueroa's 18-yard low shot forced a diving save by Castellanos.

79' Sleeth (Farnsworth). Farnsworth received on the right side and passed to Sleeth, running up the middle. Sleeth beat a defender 30 yards from goal to go in against the keeper, then beat the charging Ward from 15 yards with a low shot. 5-1 Seattle.

84' Reeves (McNeley). McNeley was demonstrably upset when he was pushed down in front of the fourth official's table while keeping a ball from going over the touch line. With everyone expecting a whistle for either a throw-in or a foul, assistant referee Scott Lawrence kept his flag down because the ball never went entirely over the line, and referee Mo Zarrabi-Kashani kept his whistle down because the ball rolled to Reeves and advantage was allowed. With most of the players stopped on the play, Reeves got by the one defender in his way, entered the penalty area, touched the ball sideways to elude Ward, and finished into the empty net. 6-1 Seattle.

With two minutes to go, Reeves got around the defense on the left and carried in close, but Ward came out to stuff the shot and Reeves somersaulted over Ward and came up limping, staying off the pitch for the remainder.

90' Maragh (Figueroa). Maragh carried up the middle after receiving a pass from Figueroa, then threaded a shot through the defense to the base of the far post and in.

Final: Seattle 6 - 2 Cascade

        Seattle  Cascade
Shots:     19      12
Saves:      6       7
Corners:    4       3
Fouls:     13      22
Offsides:   6       0

20' SEA and CAS - Sleeth and Figueroa cautioned for a minor altercation during a Cascade foul.
73' CAS - Marcello cautioned for a vicious slide under McNeley.

Referee: Mohammad Zarrabi-Kashani; Asst Refs: Scott Lawrence, RC Hefner; 4th: Mark Matthews
Attendance: 50