2003 Aug 22

Seattle Sounders  1 - 2  Minnesota Thunder
Seahawks Stadium, Seattle, WA

15' SEA - Gregor (PK)

37' MIN - Ferruzzi
67' MIN - Ferruzzi

Seattle: Preston Burpo; Ryan Edwards, Kevin Sakuda, Scott Jenkins (Herculez Gomez 82'); Andrew Gregor, Jason Farrell, Darren Sawatzky (Craig Tomlinson 75'), Sean-Michael Callahan (Viet Nguyen 68'), Sean Henderson; Roger Levesque (Kyle Smith 72'), Marco Velez. Substitutes not used: Ryan Wittstruck, Chad Brown, Ben Somoza.

Minnesota: Joe Warren; Dustin Branan, Mark Schulte, Adam Eyre; Steve Shak, Don Gramenz, Amos Magee (Jason Willan 82'), Kevin Anderson, Marco Ferruzzi (Hugo Llamas 68'); Johnny Menyongar (Johnny Torres 74'), Marshall Morehead. Substitutes not used: Brad Swenby, Zafer Kilickan.

Match report by Ron Stickney:

In a battle for most points in the A-League, the visiting Minnesota Thunder took a 2-1 win from the Seattle Sounders. Neither side generated very many good chances, but Marco Ferruzzi made the best of a half chance in the first half and a whole chance in the second to score twice for the Thunder. Andrew Gregor gave Seattle an early lead when he converted a penalty kick, but the Sounders couldn't add any more.

First Half

It took ten minutes for the first chance, when a ball was won by Seattle's Roger Levesque in the penalty area, but he couldn't shake his marker for a shot.

Minnesota's Marshall Morehead took the first shot of the match in the 11th when he got the ball from a long cross, and he seemed very open but managed only a weak shot from 15 yards, an easy save for Preston Burpo.

15' Gregor (PK). Sean-Michael Callahan got around the left side and deep into the penalty area, then he dropped a diagonal pass towards the arc, and Amos Magee got it with his hand way out wide from his body. Magee just hung his head when referee Ricardo Valenzuela called the penalty kick. Gregor put a soft shot into the left side as Joe Warren dove the other way. 1-0 Seattle.

Minnesota started pressuring Seattle's goal in the 27th, first from a Ferruzzi free kick from wide left that was flicked on past the goal area and shot under pressure, sent well wide. Johnny Menyongar's quick turn and shot from the right end of the arc went low past a diving Burpo and hit the outside of the near post, rebounding over the line for a goal kick. A minute later, in the 29th, Menyongar shot up the middle from 25 yards, but right to Burpo at the near post. In the 36th Magee was fed by a short Menyongar pass for a 15 yard shot, but Burpo was there for the comfortable save.

37' Ferruzzi. Ferruzzi won a loose ball in the Seattle end. 30 yards from the goal line and not far from the right touch line, Ferruzzi ripped a quick surprise shot that beat Burpo and caught the top far corner. 1-1, and neither side could generate a good shot for the rest of the half.

Halftime: Seattle 1 - 1 Minnesota

Gregor had the first worthy effort of the second half in the 54th when he dribbled square to the top of the arc and fired, but Warren was there for the save. In the 63rd a Gregor corner kick was headed down hard by Marco Velez, but the man at the far post foot-cleared the shot from just in front of the goal line.

67' Ferruzzi. Ferruzzi beat his marker and pushed the ball towards goal, setting up a race to the ball by Ferruzzi and Burpo, and just inside the penalty area Ferruzzi got there before Burpo and curled the ball around Burpo just before the two collided. The ball made it into the net before the closest defender could get there. It just was Minnesota's second shot of the half. 2-1 Minnesota.

Seattle started bringing in fresh forwards, but they wouldn't generate any chances until the late minutes. Minnesota had the next shot in the 78th when substitute Johnny Torres made it to the end line on the right and dropped a diagonal pass to Morehead in the middle, who shot a yard wide right. Minnesota would take no more shots in the match.

Seattle finally showed some offense in the 83rd when substitute Kyle Smith headed Gregor's corner kick at the upper corner, but Warren had it covered. Substitute Herculez Gomez was sprung on the right from a long free kick, but shot into the outside of the net. Smith headed the ball to the outside for Gomez, whose blast from a steep angle was yards high.

Four minutes were added, and Jason Farrell tried from the right end of the arc but skied it. Seattle's last chance was their best chance other then the PK. Viet Nguyen fed Gregor on a diagonal run into the box, but from 10 yards Gregor's right-footed shot was two yards high.

Final: Seattle 1 - 2 Minnesota

         Seattle   Minnesota
Shots:      11         9
Saves:       3         2
Corners:     4         0
Fouls:      18        17
Offsides:    8         3

42' MIN - Shak cautioned for taking Gregor's legs out in Seattle's half.
87' MIN - Gramenz cautioned for whatever he said.

Referees: Ricardo Valenzuela; Jeff Hosking, Rachel Berg; Eric Knudsen.
Attendance: 4,001