2003 Jul 26

Seattle Sounders  6 - 0  Calgary Storm
Seahawks Stadium, Seattle, WA

7' SEA - Smith (Nguyen)
22' SEA - Gregor (PK)
36' SEA - Callahan (Velez)
46' SEA - Hulen (Velez)
54' SEA - Gregor
76' SEA - Nguyen

Seattle: Rich Cullen; Danny Jackson, Ryan Edwards (Matt Hulen 46'), Scott Jenkins; Kevin Sakuda, Jason Farrell, Viet Nguyen (Ben Somoza 81'), Andrew Gregor (Darren Sawatzky 68'), Sean-Michael Callahan; Marco Velez (Craig Tomlinson 58'), Kyle Smith (Herculez Gomez 46'). Substitute not used: Preston Burpo, Chad Brown.

Calgary: Dave Wiebenga (Eric Kenas 81'); Liam DeSilva, Sean Fraser, Jordan Gillespie, Thomas Wheeldon; Conrad Chala, Ian Clarke, Nik Zuniga; Chris Clarke, Mark Korthius (Dwayne Gareau 46'), Nik Reyes. Substitute not used: Jaime Auvigne, Jermaine Richards, Brendan Garrity.

Match report from the Sounders:

Riding the back of Andrew Gregor's two-goal performance, the Seattle Sounders' offense got a boost tonight against Team Calgary in a 6-0 romp in front of 2,217 fans at Seahawks Stadium. This is the second consecutive match in which the Sounders defeated Calgary 6-0.

The offense came alive in the first half as soon as the opening whistle blew. In the 7th minute Sounders Forward Viet Nguyen passed back to a driving Kyle Smith down the right side of the field, and he shot the ball far post past a diving Dave Wiebenga.

Then in the 22nd minute, thanks to a foul in the box by Calgary's Thomas Wheeldon, the Sounders scored their second goal of the night on an Andrew Gregor penalty kick into the low right corner underneath Wiebenga.

In the 36th minute Sounders midfielder Sean-Michael Callahan scored his second goal of the season. Forward Marco Velez crossed the ball from the six-yard box and with one bounce Callahan knocked it into an open goal.

Calgary's offense had a slow start with only five shots in the first half, including a rocket by Calgary Defender Jordan Gillespie from the top left corner of the box. Gillespie aiming for far post hit the top right corner of the goal sending the ball almost back to midfield. Gillespie's shot in the first half was Team Calgary's only real scoring threat in the match.

Sounder midfielder Matt Hulen in his first appearance of the year starting the second half for Defender Ryan Edwards kept up the offensive pressure coming back from the break. Just 35 seconds into the second half Hulen on a through ball from Velez beat his defender and then confused the Calgary keeper as he chipped the ball into the back left corner. Hulen's goal was the first of his professional career.

Just minutes later, in the 54th, Gregor scored his second goal of the night on a shot from the arc atop the box. Calgary keeper Wiebenga made a diving save, which deflected the ball into the air, then he landed on his back and rolled into the open goal, the ball just barely crossing the goal line.

In the Union 76th minute Sounders forward Viet Nguyen hit the top right corner for the Sounders' sixth goal of the night. Nguyen's goal came on free kick after Craig Tomlinson was fouled by Calgary's Nik Zuniga just outside the top left corner of the box.

A Sounders match would not be complete without a little physical activity. Defender Scott Jenkins received his third yellow card of the year in the 30th minute, Jenkins would ultimately be ejected from the game when he received his second yellow card of the match in the second half on an aggressive slide tackle. Just before Jenkins' first caution, Calgary defender Thomas Wheeldon received his own yellow card for a take down on Velez.

With the win Seattle is now 3-1-1 (W-D-L) against Team Calgary this season. This match wraps up the Sounders' July schedule; throughout the month of July the Sounders went 4-1-3, including two dominating matches against Calgary in which the Sounders scored six goals in each.

         Seattle   Calgary
Shots:      16        11
Saves:       2         6
Corners:     5         2
Fouls:      13        17
Offsides:    1         1

26' CAL - Wheeldon cautioned for taking down Velez.
30' SEA - Jenkins cautioned.
65' SEA - Jenkins cautioned for an aggressive slide tackle and sent off for his second caution.

Referees: Jesse Johnson; Doug Pinski, Kevin O'Daniel; Fred Mabbott