2003 Jul 19

Seattle Sounders Women  5 - 0  Mile High Mustangs
Seahawks Stadium, Seattle, WA

47' SEA - Frimpong (Bennett)
53' SEA - Frimpong (Milyak)
55' SEA - Munnis (Rodrick)
80' SEA - Rodrick (Bennett)
90' SEA - Milyak

Seattle: Meghan Miller (Kelly Nigh 64'); Shannon Forslund, Wynne McIntosh, Katie Miyake; Haley VanBlommestein, Alicia Milyak, Rachel Rodrick, Hayley McNallan, Joanie Gerpheide (Melissa Bennett 40'); Janelle Munnis (Mary Kruder 59'), Brenda Mueller (Tina Frimpong 40').

Mile High: Katie Hultin (Monica Carbone 75'); Jamie Swenson, Jessica Uecker, Ashley Blain-Hartung, Carolyn Nason; Mindy Basham (Christy Allen 56'), Kim Peterson, Kat Machamer, Cameron Walker; Liz Farrall, Carolyn Hart (Brooke Glasmann 56').

Match report from the Sounders Women:

A scoreless first half left the Sounder Women with some work to do in the second. Although the Sounders dominated the first half against Denver’s Mile High Mustangs, they lacked putting any balls in the back of the net.

Sounders' Brenda Mueller penetrated the penalty area early, challenging the keeper. Within the first ten minutes, Mueller dribbled into the box. She did a quick feint to the side and took a shot. Denver's keeper, Katie Hultin, taped it wide. Soon after, Mueller challenged Hultin again, dribbling at her with speed. Hultin came out and won the ball.

Janelle Munnis also had two back-to-back opportunities in the first half. Munnis drilled two shots within 20 seconds, neither of which went in.

The first shot attempt from the Mustangs in the first half was from Kat Machamer in the 25th minute.

The Sounders came out strong and determined in the second half. An early goal was scored in the 47th minute. Melissa Bennett lofted a free-kick to Frimpong who finished on a one-time header into the back of the net.

Within the next five minutes the Sounders worked the ball up the field for their second goal. Munnis played the ball out wide to Alicia Milyak. Milyak crossed it to Frimpong who finished another one-time goal.

In the 54th minute, Denver's Kim Peterson fouled for a Sounders free kick. Sounder Rachel Rodrick drove the ball in to the six to Munnis who battled with Denver's keeper for the ball. Munnis got the final touch on the ball as the ball rolled across the line for the Sounders' third goal.

While up three goals in the 64th minute, Sounders' coach Dick McCormick gave his second-string goalkeeper, Kelly Nigh, some time in goal for Meghan Miller. However, Nigh's only challenge was by the Mustangs' forward Liz Farrall in the 85th minute. She also caught a shot directly to her from Christy Allen in the 91st minute.

Bennett got her second assist of the evening for the fourth goal of the night. She cut the ball back from the end line to play it to Rodrick. Rodrick finished a first-time goal for her first goal of the match.

Milyak scored the final goal of the evening in the 90th minute. After dribbling 30 yards down the field, she took a shot from out wide left. The ball went into the top far corner to end the game with a 5-0 win for the Sounders.

Sounder keepers Miller and Nigh share the shutout.

The Sounders' last game of the season will be next Saturday against the Arizona Heatwave at home. Game time is 4 pm. A win in this game will close the deal for a playoff slot for the Sounders and leave them in second place.

         Seattle  Mile High
Shots:      24        5
Saves:       4       12
Corners:     8        0
Fouls:       8       14
Offsides:    3        2


Referees: Julie Hosking; Brian Armes, Chad Thresher; Kevin O'Daniel
Attendance: 818