2003 Jun 7

Seattle Sounders Women  0 - 1  Vancouver Whitecaps Women
Seahawks Stadium, Seattle, WA

67' VAN - Thorlakson (Neil)

Seattle: Meghan Miller; Joanie Gerpheide (Dana Kimble 15', Alicia Milyak 61'), Nikki Gamble, Shannon Forslund, Nicole Martinez; Caroline Putz, Rachel Rodrick (Brenda Mueller 36'), Haley VanBlommestein, Melissa Bennett (Jodi Campbell 77'); Hillary Heath (Shelby Brownfield 77'), Janelle Munnis. Substitutes not used: Lisa Brookens, Christie Spear.

Vancouver: Erin McLeod; Sasha Andrews, Sadie McLure, Sandi Potis, Kelly Haxton; Andrea Neil, Sara Maglio, Amy Apps (Tera Kasubuchi 44'), Diana Artuso (Rosalyn Hicks 69'); Katie Thorlakson (Phebe Trotman 84'), Kara Lang (Carey Gustafson 84'). Substitutes not used: Sian Bagshawe, Roxanne Chow, Sophie Spilborghs.

Match report by Ron Stickney:

The Seattle Sounders Women held the Vancouver Whitecaps Women to one goal, but couldn't score any. Vancouver's Katie Thorlakson notched the lone goal midway through the second half. Seattle goalkeeper Meghan Miller made 13 saves, including some fine ones. Vancouver 'keeper Erin McLeod made some fine saves en route to a shutout.

First Half

Vancouver's Kara Lang, just 16 years old, had the best shots in the early minutes. In the 9th she beat her marker in the left side of the penalty area and looked like she had only the goalkeeper to beat, but Nicole Martinez recovered just in time to poke in a foot. In the 14th Lang held off Joanie Gerpheide at the spot to turn and shoot, but Gerpheide managed to poke in a foot and deflect it wide for a corner kick. In the 16th Thorlakson dropped a ball for Lang, whose 18-yarder was caught at the near post by Miller. In the 19th Andrea Neil received a long cross and headed a ball to the far post, where Lang's volley from 5 yards went just over the bar.

Then it was Seattle's Janelle Munnis with the good chances. In the 26th when Rachel Rodrick's free kick from the top left corner of the penalty area curled out of goalkeeper McLeod's reach, Munnis 8 yards out from the far post had a chance to volley into an open net, but she miskicked it and McLeod had an easy save. Two minutes later Munnis was sprung from the halfway line and got off an 18-yard shot, but McLeod was well-positioned for the save. A Seattle attack led to a loose ball in the penalty area and it fell for Munnis, whose chip over McLeod was just close enough for the keeper to slow it with the fingertips and then collect the leftovers.

Vancouver finished the half with a few good attempts. Lang cracked a shot from outside the penalty area on the right, but Miller was at the near post to snare it. Amy Apps curled a shot from outside the top right corner of the area, and Miller saved overhead. Lang's low shot from 12 yards on the left was pushed wide by Miller for a corner. The resulting corner kick was shot from 8 yards by Sasha Andrews, past Miller only to be cleared by Dana Kimble at the post.

Halftime: Seattle 0 - 0 Vancouver

Seattle had a close free kick early in the second half when an attacker was tripped entering the penalty area. The contact may or may not have happened just inside the area, and referee David Simon spotted the free kick just outside the penalty area. Melissa Bennett's free kick was saved overhead by McLeod.

Lang again, around the defense on the right for a 10-yard shot, and Miller collapsed for the save. In the 63rd Lang went deep on the right and shot from 15 yards, bouncing it off the top of the bar and out.

Seattle nearly scored in the 64th when Munnis' cross from the right went through the goal area untouched, then Caroline Putz fired it on goal and McLeod pushed it just enough to hit the underside of the crossbar and keep the net empty.

Then Katie Thorlakson stepped up for Vancouver. In the 66th she went through the middle for a 15-yard shot, but Miller came out to deflect it wide for a corner.

67' Thorlakson (Neil). Neil passed ahead to Thorlakson inside the penalty area on the right. Thorlakson juked Haley VanBlommestein thoroughly and found herself alone with only Miller to beat, and she put a low shot inside the far post. 1-0 Vancouver.

Brenda Mueller came right back with a chance for Seattle when she fought off her marker in the area to earn a 15-yard shot, but it bounced right to McLeod.

Then it was all Vancouver until the final few minutes. Miller slid out to save Lang's 15-yarder from the left but gave up a rebound, first reached by Sara Maglio, then Miller slid the other way to force the shot just wide of the post. After a poor Seattle clearance, Tera Kasubuchi headed on goal, and Miller managed an arm block. Kasubuchi later had a quick chance from the arc, but Miller was there for the save.

Seattle finally took a good shot in the 88th, struck well by substitute Jodi Campbell from 30 yards, but McLeod had it covered.

Vancouver weren't done, as substitute Carey Gustafson executed a nice turn and shoot from 15 yards up the middle, and Miller made a flying save to stop it from entering the top corner. Substitute Phebe Trotman got open for an 18-yarder from the right, saved overhead by Miller.

One last chance for Seattle in the final minute, when VanBlommestein's long free kick ended up unclaimed and rolling in front of goal, but it couldn't be reached.

Final: Seattle 0 - 1 Vancouver

         Seattle  Vancouver
Shots:       9       26
Saves:      13        6
Corners:     0        5
Fouls:       8       10
Offsides:    2        3


Referees: David Simon; Debora Brock, Pam Davis; Mark Matthews.