2004 Jul 2

Milwaukee Wave United 2 - 2 Seattle Sounders
Uihlein Park, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

15' SEA - Edwards (Bolaņos)

40' MIL - Todd Dusosky (Howes)
51' SEA - Levesque (Bolaņos)
52' MIL - Torres

Milwaukee: Jim Larkin; Steve Lawrence, Chad Dombrowski, Christopher Morman, Joe Hammes, Boureima Kante (Giuliano Oliviero 80'); Matt Schmidt, Johnny Torres; Greg Howes, Todd Dusosky (Nick Walls 103'), Jamar Beasley (Nino Mercantonio 82'). Substitutes not used: Nick Vorberg.

Seattle: Preston Burpo; Danny Jackson, Marco Velez, Ryan Edwards; Jason Farrell, Sean Henderson, Chad Brown (Scott Jenkins 70'), Viet Nguyen (Kyle Smith 90'), Jonathan Bolaņos; Welton, Roger Levesque. Substitutes not used: Danny Waltman.

Other match reports: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Sounders, Wave United

Match report by Ron Stickney, based on the television broadcast:

The Seattle Sounders twice took the lead, but the Milwaukee Wave United twice leveled the score, and they ended up with a 2-2 draw in Milwaukee. Ryan Edwards gave Seattle an early lead, but near halftime Todd Dusosky evened the score. In the second half Roger Levesque put Seattle back in the lead, but within a minute Johnny Torres equalized. 20 minutes of extra time failed to change the score.

First Half

The Sounders were best out of the starting gate. In the 8th a Seattle free kick by Jason Farrell was bent to the lower near corner, and Jim Larkin had to parry it wide for a corner kick.

15'Edwards (Bolaņos). Jonathan Bolaņos sent a 25-yard free kick from the right side into the penalty area, and a defender tried to head it clear but popped it up to the far post. Edwards was first to it and headed it past Larkin and inside the opposite post on the bounce. 1-0 Seattle.

It was nearly all Milwaukee the rest of the half. Joe Hammes had a good chance from the top of the arc after a Howes cross was worked around the penalty area, but the shot went a few yards wide. Torres headed a long cross sharply from 12 yards, and Preston Burpo was right there for his first save. Torres took a 25-yard free kick after a questionable handling call on Edwards, and the free kick just missed the top near corner.

40' Todd Dusosky (Howes). For a couple of minutes the Sounders couldn't get the ball out of their end, and Milwaukee finally scored. Greg Howes sent in a long cross from the right and Dusosky skied to flick it sharply inside the far post. 1-1.

In the final minute of the half Sean Henderson was unreasonably called for handling when he took a hard shot in the face, and Torres had a free kick from the top of the arc. The shot was well taken, but Burpo slid sideways to catch it just under the bar.

Halftime: Milwaukee 1 - 1 Seattle

Milwaukee nearly opened the second half with a goal when Howes got around his marker and in close to cross to Todd Dusosky's foot. Dusosky's shot hit the base of the near post and the spin had the ball bouncing towards goal, but a defender cleared it. Boureima Kante fired the ball back in and just missed the top far corner.

52' Levesque (Bolaņos). Bolaņos pushed a nicely weighted pass straight up the middle and Levesque outmuscled his marker to win it. As Larkin slid out, Levesque chipped his shot over the sliding keeper and into the goal just before being upended by Larkin. 2-1 Seattle.

53' Torres. Soon after kickoff, a loose ball above the arc was run onto by Torres for a hard shot that deflected off a defender's leg and bent into the top right corner. With the deflection, Burpo had no chance. 2-2.

Play was fairly even for the rest of the half. For Milwaukee, Hammes served the ball to the far post and a header shot just missed the top near corner. A 35-yard shot was parried and collected by Burpo at the post.

In the 78th, Welton nearly put Seattle up when he headed Viet Nguyen's cross at the top far corner, but Larkin reached back and with one hand slapped it away.

Milwaukee might have gone ahead when Todd Dusosky's feed appeared to put Howes open in the penalty area, but Edwards slid in to block the close-in shot wide for a corner.

Seattle sweeper Danny Jackson was up for a shot from the spot and Larkin slid down to block it, but he left a sitter in front of goal, and a defender cleared the leftovers just before Levesque came sliding in. A long header in the 89th was caught at the bar by Larkin, and it was on to extra time.

Regulation: Milwaukee 2 - 2 Seattle

The first 10-minute extra time period was dominated by Milwaukee. Torres got open on the right for a good chance from a steep angle, but he missed the far post. Howes worked past 3 defenders en route up the middle and blasted a 15-yard shot, but Burpo rejected it and a defender cleared the rebound out for a corner. In the 100th minute, Burpo dove to save a 25-yard shot.

Early in the second extra time period a Torres free kick from left of the penalty area bounced through the goal area, but nobody could finish the chance.

Seattle took the momentum the last five minutes, but couldn't quite gain a shot.

Final: Milwaukee 2 - 2 Seattle

        Milwaukee  Seattle
Shots:      19        7
Saves:       4        6
Corners:     4        2
Fouls:      21       24
Offsides:    0        1

12' MIL - Morman cautioned for tripping Welton.
34' SEA - Brown cautioned.
49' SEA - Edwards cautioned for a tactical foul on Torres.
62' SEA - Bolaņos cautioned for failing to respect the required distance on a free kick.

Referees: Tony Crush; Kelly Ross, James Walter; James Canino.
Attendance: 1,518