2004 Jul 9

Vancouver Whitecaps 1 - 0 Seattle Sounders
Swangard Stadium, Burnaby, BC

45' VAN - Xausa (Kindel)

Vancouver: Alex Marques; Nick Dasovic, Geordie Lyall, Justin Thompson; Dave Morris (Jeff Clarke 81'), Oliver Heald (Chris Franks 67'), Johnny Sulentic (Martin Nash 74'), Steve Kindel, Alfredo Valente; Jason Jordan (Carlo Corrazin 78'), Dave Xausa (Winston Griffiths 87'). Substitutes not used: Mike Franks, Fuseini Dauda.

Seattle: Preston Burpo; Danny Jackson, Marco Velez, Zach Scott (Darren Sawatzky 81'); Scott Jenkins, Sean Henderson (Sean-Michael Callahan 15'), Viet Nguyen (Kyle Smith 67'), Kevin Sakuda (Ben Somoza 77'), Jonathan Bolaņos; Roger Levesque, Welton (Craig Tomlinson 63'). Substitutes not used: Danny Waltman, Ryan Edwards.

Additional match reports: Whitecaps, Sounders

Match report by Ron Stickney:

The Seattle Sounders lost away to the Vancouver Whitecaps 1-0 on a goal by Dave Xausa seconds before the halftime whistle. The match had only the one good scoring chance and only 9 shots for Seattle vs. 8 for Vancouver. But there were fouls galore, 47 of them. A good share of those fouls would normally be considered trivial at this level, but perhaps referee David Gandar is used to working U-12 and lower matches.

Seattle started a different lineup in the midfield, with Scott Jenkins and Kevin Sakuda in the mix as Jason Farrell was suspended and Billy Sleeth and Chad Brown were injured. Sean Henderson with a nagging hamstring got the start, but lasted only 15 minutes before being replaced by Sean-Michael Callahan.

First Half

First chance was Seattle's as Roger Levesque nearly stole the ball deep in Vancouver's end, but goalkeeper Alex Marques cleared it sideways before Levesque could get a shot.

For Vancouver in the 4th minute, a free kick left of the penalty area was dropped to Alfredo Valente for a chip shot at the top far corner, but it settled on the roof. Johnny Sulentic earned a 20-yard shot up the middle but rolled a soft shot 2 yards wide.

For Seattle a Jonathan Bolaņos free kick from 25 was blocked overhead by Marques and Seattle got the rebound but couldn't earn a second shot.

In the 40th a weak foul call against Seattle gave Xausa a free kick from just outside the left edge of the penalty area and he bounced it off the top of the crossbar and out for a goal kick.

A minute later Levesque worked a give and go in the middle with Bolaņos and took a surprise shot from 25 but missed the top far corner by a yard.

Xausa (Kindel). In added time, a Vancouver free kick play from the left went to Jason Jordan, who passed ahead to Steve Kindel, who was open for a powerful cross. The cross went along the 6-yard line for Xausa on the far post run, and he volleyed it in.

Halftime: Vancouver 1 - 0 Seattle

Vancouver would take just two shots in the second half, but the defense would stymie Seattle. Valente took a 20-yarder from the left after Seattle gave it away early in the half, but the far post shot was covered by Preston Burpo.

Seattle's Levesque gained the ball with a good tackle in Vancouver's end, then he dished to substitute Craig Tomlinson for a 20-yarder that was sent two yards high. Levesque stole another ball and tried to chip Marques from 25, but was a half yard over the top near corner. A long Bolaņos free kick was headed on goal by Zach Scott and saved overhead by Mrques.

The last chance for Seattle was in the 87th when Levesque fired from 20 yards on the left but sent it wide right.

A near brawl broke out in added time when Vancouver was whistled for a foul. Marques wouldn't let go of the ball, so a Sounders player ripped it away from him, then there was pushing and bumping as Seattle spotted the ball upfield for the free kick. Vancouver's Marques and Jeff Clarke were cautioned and so was Seattle's Bolaņos.

Final: Vancouver 1 - 0 Seattle

        Vancouver  Seattle
Shots:       8        9
Saves:       4        1
Corners:     2        2
Fouls:      22       25
Offsides:    2        1

33' SEA - Sakuda cautioned.
90' VAN - Marques cautioned.
90' VAN - Clarke cautioned.
90' SEA - Bolaņos cautioned.

Referees: David Gantar; Martin Reid, Paul Ward; Jose Branco.
Attendance: 4,577