2004 Jun 6

Seattle Sounders  2 - 1  Calgary Mustangs
Qwest Stadium, Seattle, WA

49' CAL - Reyes (?)
73' SEA - Smith (PK)
101' SEA - Welton (Smith)

Seattle: Preston Burpo; Danny Jackson, Ryan Edwards, Marco Velez, Scott Jenkins (Kyle Smith 54'); Sean Henderson (Darren Sawatzky 65'), Jason Farrell, Chad Brown (Robbie Aristodemo 100'), Viet Nguyen (Sean-Michael Callahan 97'); Welton, Roger Levesque. Substitutes not used: Danny Waltman, Zach Scott, Shawn Percell.

Calgary: Lutz Pfannenstiel; Chris Kooy (Sergei Kolomiets-Raad 90'), Angelo Sestito, CJ Peszneker (Jordan Gillespie 46'); Geert Brusselers, Steffen Holdt (Zdravko Savic 57'), Mesut Mert, Jamie Auvigne; Nikolas Reyes, Nic Zuniga, Damir Jesic. Substitutes not used: Jordan Robinson.

Additional match reports: Seattle Times, Sounders.

Match report by Ron Stickney:

The Seattle Sounders needed extra time to beat the visiting Calgary Mustangs 2-1. After a scoreless first half, Calgary struck first when Nikolas Reyes' shot up the middle took a lucky deflection off a defender. Seattle came back when Welton earned a penalty kick that was converted clinically by Kyle Smith. Just into the second period of extra time it was Welton with the winning goal, his third match winner in four matches. Welton has already earned most of his 2004 salary.

The lineups surprised us. Seattle started a decidedly defensive lineup against a foe they had beaten at home 5-0 recently. The Sounders came out in a 4-4-2 lineup where only two of the midfeilders, Viet Nguyen and Jason Farrell, were known for their offensive skills. Calgary, meanwhile, started with a more offensive 3-4-3 lineup. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

First Half

It was Seattle in the early going. In the 2nd minute a throw-in play led to Nguyen's shot from close in that was deflected wide by goalkeeper Lutz Pfannenstiel and cleared by the defense. Welton's nice cross from the left gave Levesque a shot from close that went a yard wide of the far post. A Farrell free kick went past goal for Ryan Edwards, whose shot at the near post was saved by a diving Pfannenstiel.

In the 20th, Farrell worked a give and go with Chad Brown inside the penatly area, but shot over the bar. Sean Henderson seemed surprised to find himself open for a shot from the top right of the penalty area and shot over the top far corner. Nguyen's long free kick just missed the top far corner, but Pfannenstiel was there just in case.

Calgary's first shot came in the final minute of the half when Mesut Mert's cross on a free kick play gave Jamie Auvigne a header that missed the top far corner by a yard.

Halftime: Seattle 0 - 0 Calgary

Seattle shot first in the second half when Farrell's short feed gave Nguyen a 23-yarder up the middle that was saved high by Pfannenstiel.

49' Reyes. Reyes found space for a 25-yard shot up the middle and it deflected off defender Ryan Edwards' leg to the center of the goal while 'keeper Preston Burpo had already launched himself towards the lower right corner. Burpo tried change directions in mid air, but you can only do that in cartoons. Calgary had scored on their second shot of the match. 1-0 Calgary.

Seattle responded with plenty of pressure on Calgary's goal, especially after bringing in offensive-minded substitutes Smith and Darren Sawatzky. Defender Marco Velez was up on the right for a chance under pressure but shot over the bar. A 30-yard rocket up the middle by Farrell went right into Pfannenstiel's bread basket.

Calgary took their last good shot of regulation time in the 55th when an 18-yarder forced Burpo to dive forward for the save.

Just on, Sawatzky was served on the right with acres of space and sent in a cross worth finishing, but Welton under pressure couldn't quite reach the ball.

73' Smith (PK). Welton was served a square pass in the penalty area and was knocked over from behind by Geert Bursselers trying to take it. Young referee Yader Reyes pointed to the spot and Brusselers complained in vain. Smith accurately put the penalty kick low into the left corner. 1-1.

Seattle had their chances in regulation time. Nguyen's cross to the far post might have been finished by Smith or Levesque, but Levesque's header went over the bar. Velez tried a blast from 30 but was yards high. In the 82nd Levesque carried up the middle for a pressured shot from 25 that slid barely wide of the left post.

Regulation: Seattle 1 - 1 Calgary

Extra time was uneventful until the 98th minute when Calgary's Brusselers shot from a free kick wide of the left side of the penalty area, but he shot wide of the near post.

For Seattle, Sawatzky's 30-yard low shot was a yard wide of the near post.

For Calgary, Mert's corner kick created a shot on goal that caught just a bit of the top right corner.

101' Welton (Smith). The match winner was a pinball goal. Substitute Sean-Michael Callahan took a pass wide left and turned the corner towards the end line. His nice cross to the far post was headed by Levesque from 6 yards to Welton in front of goal. Welton's first shot went sideways past goal, but Smith was there near the end line to head it back across the goal to Welton, who tapped it in from 5 yards. 2-1 Seattle.

Final: Seattle 2 - 1 Calgary

         Seattle  Calgary
Shots:      21        6
Saves:       1        7
Corners:     6        2
Fouls:      34       29
Offsides:    1        0

10' CAL - Auvigne cautioned for taking out Brown's legs wide of the Calgary penalty area.
16' SEA - Henderson cautioned for kicking over the ball at an opponent's legs.
45' SEA - Edwards cautioned for a foul on Mert.
48' SEA - Farrell cautioned for a late trip of Mert.
55' CAL - Reyes cautioned for a foul near the halfway line.
86' SEA - Smith cautioned for a late slide into Kooy.
99' SEA - Brown cautioned for a foul on Jesic in the Calgary half.

Referees: Yader Reyes; Jeff Hosking, Josh Wilkens; Rachel Berg.
Attendance: 1,650