2004 Jul 7

Seattle Sounders Women  2 - 1  Edmonton Aviators Women
Qwest Field, Seattle, WA

13' SEA - Gamble (Baysa)

52' EDM - Flock (Jamani)
86' SEA - Frimpong (McNallan)

Seattle: Meghan Miller; Katie Miyake, Dana Kimble, Zahra Jalalian; Nikki Gamble, Michelle French, Rachel Rodrick, Alicia Milyak (Sophie Spickard 87'), Kelley Schweighart (Hayley McNallan 46'); Chalise Baysa, Brenda Mueller (Tina Frimpong 46'). Substitutes not used: Amy Carnell, Colby Branham, Shannon Forslund, Hillary Heath.

Edmonton: Stephanie Labbe; Shannon Duggan, Andrea Aitkenhead, Selena Debski (Stacy Dahlbeck 46'), Erin LeBlanc; Carey Gustafson, Monique Gjini, Sandy Ash (Natalie Swain 46'), Yvonne Northover; Aysha Jamani (Tara Luciani 67'), Kendra Flock. Substitutes not used: Sian Bagshawe, Lyndsay Stewart.

Additional match report: Sounders (bottom of article).

Match report by Ron Stickney:

The Seattle Sounders Women needed a late goal by Tina Frimpong to win at home 2-1 over the Edmonton Aviators Women. Nikki Gamble gave the Sounders a 1-0 halftime lead, but Kendra Flock evened the score early in the second half. Frimpong was playing her first match this season after returning to the team.

First Half

It took 9 minutes to get the first shot, a 25-yarder over the bar by Seattle's Michelle French when nothing was developing in the box. French's next shot was chipped on goal, but right to Stephanie Labbe for a save.

13' Gamble (Baysa). Chalise Baysa passed to Gamble, who took the ball up the left side. From just outside the penalty area and a yard from the bye line, Gamble sent in what she probably meant as a cross, but it looped over Labbe and just inside the far post for a counter. Seattle 1-0.

Soon after the kickoff, Aysha Jamani looked like she would score for Edmonton when she broke past the defenders and into the penalty area, headed straight at goal with defenders steps behind. Jamani shot from 10 yards, but didn't get it over the sliding Meghan Miller. Jamani's second try from the rebound went wide. Edmonton wouldn't get another good chance in the half.

The first foul wasn't whistled until the 27th minute.

In the 29th Brenda Mueller netted the ball off a deflected shot by Baysa, but Mueller was a bit offside on the play. With a feint, Mueller got open for a left-footer from the 18, but Labbe was there for the save.

Seattle had four good opportunities in the final 5 minutes of the half. Alicia Milyak took a pair of shots from 20 yards, over by a yard on the first and saved on the second. On a corner kick play, Kelley Schweighart centered to Mueller 3 yards from goal, and Mueller put it low past Labbe only to see the defender at the post clear it from the goal line. Finally, Rachel Rodrick forced a save from 20.

Halftime: Seattle 1 - 0 Edmonton

Play was even most of the second half, with the sides trading opportunities. In the opening minutes Edmonton was just over the bar from 20. A pair of Edmonton corner kicks bounced dangerously in front of goal, but nobody could take advantage.

On at the half, Frimpong put a nice diagonal ball in front of Baysa, who had a 15-yard shot with only Labbe to beat, but the shot was aimed right at Labbe.

52' Flock (Jamani). With Edmonton on a strong attack, Jamani crossed towards the spot from the right side and Flock was wide open in front of goal. Flock put the shot low past Miller. 1-1.

For Seattle in the 54th, Frimpong nearly caught Labbe off guard with a powerful 33-yard shot.

For Edmonton in the 76th, Natalie Swain took a 20-yard free kick and just missed the top far corner.

In the 78th Frimpong's short drop in front of goal gave Gamble a close-in shot, but Labbe collapsed at the near post for the save.

86' Frimpong (McNallan). The deadlock was finally broken by a pair of halftime substitutes. A skillful Seattle attack got McNallan the ball in the center of the goal area with her back to goal. McNallan dropped a short, diagonal pass for Frimpong to finish from 6 yards.

Final: Seattle 2 - 1 Edmonton

         Seattle  Edmonton
Shots:      22        7
Saves:       1       10
Corners:     8        3
Fouls:       7        6
Offsides:    3        0


Referees: Brian Armes; Charles Talbot, Krystin Lambalot.
Attendance: 268