2005 Jul 2

Minnesota Thunder  1 - 3  Seattle Sounders
James Griffin Stadium, St. Paul, MN

Minnesota: Joe Warren; Brett Branan (Nathan Knox 88'), Chris Brunt, Mike Wilson (Jonathan Hargis 71'); Freddy Juarez, Kiki Lara, Jeff Matteo, Aaron Paye (Melvin Tarley 77'), Matt Schmidt (Jay Alberts 66'), Godfrey Tenoff; Johnny Menyongar. Substitutes not used: Nicolas Platter, Chris Vorenkamp, Kevin Friedland.

Seattle: Preston Burpo; Taylor Graham, Ryan Edwards, Billy Sleeth, Zach Scott; Kevin Sakuda, CJ Klaas, Ben Somoza (Franklin Chacon 70'), Gabe Sturm (Brent Whitfield 46'); Welton (Brett Wiesner 79'), Roger Levesque. Substitute not used: James Ward.

24' MIN - Menyongar (Brundt)
46' SEA - Welton (Whitfield)
61' SEA - Whitfield
73' SEA - Klaas

Additional match report: Thunder.

Match report from the Sounders:

The Seattle Sounders defeated the Minnesota Thunder 3-1 on Saturday night, the first match of a two-match road trip.

Minnesota spent most of the first half on the attack. In the 19th minute Godfrey Tenoff took a cross from Kiki Lara at the top of the Seattle 18 yard box and lined it just inches over the crossbar. Seattle countered just minutes later with one of their best chances of the first half when Zach Scott's header off a Ben Somoza throw-in went over the bar from five yards out.

The Thunder earned a corner kick in the 24th minute and with little resistance from the Sounders were able to convert. Instead of a cross Jeff Matteo played the corner kick out to the top right corner of the penalty area. Chris Brunt one-touched it across the top of the box, a ball the Sounders had opportunity to clear but instead were caught flat-footed. The ball rolled to Johnny Menyongar who skipped it into the back of the net at the left post.

The Sounders had another opportunity in the 38th minute as Somoza dragged the ball down the right side and whipped a cross into the box for Welton. The Brazilian attempted to flick the ball out of the air from five yards up only to see the ball deflect off defender Brunt.

Seattle head coach Brian Schmetzer made one change before the start of the second half, inserting the speedy Whitfield for midfielder Gabe Sturm on the right flank. The change paid dividends immediately as C.J. Klaas slotted a perfect ball to Whitfield as he ran past Thunder defender Kevin Wilson in the 46th minute. Whitfield dribbled into the 18-yard box drawing out Minnesota goalkeeper Joe Warren, then touched a pass off to his left where Welton Melo rocketed a right-footer in from 14 yards up to tie the score.

Minnesota looked to regain the lead in the 50th minute but Sounder 'keeper Preston Burpo snuffed out the opportunity with a diving save off Menyongar's shot from 8-yards.

Minutes later the Sounders grabbed the lead for good when Whitfield waited on a high bounce 20 yards up from the Thunder goal and unleashed a rocket that screamed past Warren, just inside the right post. The Thunder tried for the equalizer in the 64th minute but again Burpo was able to dive off his line and scoop up Jeff Matteo's free kick attempt from 25 yards out.

Seattle salted away the win on a controversial play. Klaas pushed the ball through two Thunder defenders from midfield. Roger Levesque ran around the outside of the defenders in an attempt to chase down the ball. Meanwhile Warren came racing off his line, sliding toward the ball at the top of the penalty box. The ball, Levesque and Warren all arrived at the same time. Levesque toed the ball into the sliding Warren then went flying over top the Minnesota 'keeper. The ball ricocheted off Warren and while the entire Thunder team converged on Levesque arguing for a foul, play never stopped and Klaas ripped home his first professional goal from 12 yards out in the 73rd minute.

         Minnesota  Seattle
Shots:      14         5
Saves:       3         7
Corners:     6         1
Fouls:      10        12
Offsides:    2         2

45' MIN - Juarez cautioned
57' SEA - Levesque cautioned
71' MIN - Brundt cautioned
73' MIN - Warren cautioned
74' MIN - Matteo cautioned
79' SEA - Whitfield cautioned

Referees: Marcel Yonan; Troy Cohrs, Kristine Lamm; Soner Dogan

Attendance: 2,668