2005 Jul 3

Montreal Impact  3 - 1  Seattle Sounders
Claude Robillard Sports Complex, Montreal, QC

Montreal: Andrew Olivieri; Mauricio Vincello, Lars Lyssand, Nevio Pizzolitto, Adrian Cann; Jason Di Tullio (David Fronimadis 76'), Masahiro Fukasawa, Zé Roberto, Antonio Ribeiro (Darko Kolic 89'); Mauro Biello (Mesut Mert 79'), Ali Gerba. Substitute not used: Gerry Argento.

Seattle: Preston Burpo; Taylor Graham, Ryan Edwards, Billy Sleeth, Zach Scott (Gabe Sturm 76'); Kevin Sakuda, CJ Klaas, Ben Somoza (Franklin Chacon 58'), Brent Whitfield; Welton (Brett Wiesner 73'), Roger Levesque. Substitute not used: James Ward.

7' MON - Gerba (Vincello)
11' SEA - Edwards (Scott)
45' MON - Gerba
90' MON - Kolic (ZeRoberto)

Additional match reports: Montreal fan Albert Ohayon, Impact.

Match report from the Sounders:

Ali Gerba scored two first half goals, including one aided by the elements, and the Monteal Impact ended the Seattle Sounders ten game unbeaten streak with a 3-1 win Sunday at Claude Robillard Stadium. It was the first meeting between the two clubs since last September's championship match, also won by the Impact in the same stadium.

Two teams known for their stingy defense and not their offensive prowess combined for all three goals in the first half. Montreal struck twice with the first coming in the 7th minute. The goal was credited to Gerba but it went into the Sounder goal off Seattle defender Zach Scott as he attempted to play it over the end line for a Montreal corner kick.

Sounders defender Ryan Edward's third goal of the season evened the score in the 11th minute. C.J. Klaas crossed the ball off a free kick to the back post where Zach Scott headed it into the middle of the six yard box, then Edwards headed it into the back of the net from five yards out.

It appeared the game would reach intermission even at 1-1, but Montreal was awarded a free kick from 40-yards out in the 45th minute. With the setting sun directly in the eyes of Sounder goalkeeper Preston Burpo, Gerba unleashed a line drive toward the Sounder net. Blinded by the sunlight, Burpo couldn't pick up ball and it sailed by him and into the back of the goal.

The Sounders, drained from a day of travel after a match the night before in Minnesota, could not seem to get their legs under them in the second half and spent very little time in the offensive third of the field until the waning minutes of the game. Burpo kept it close with some diving saves, denying Gerba a third goal in the 51st minute and again in the 53rd minute.

Seattle's best second half scoring opportunity came in the 68th minute when Billy Sleeth chipped the ball through a defender's legs from 8-yards but Impact 'keeper Andrew Olivieri dropped on the ball right on the goal line.

The Sounders did put some pressure on Olivieri in the final few minutes of regulation and added time. Brent Whitfield played a header from Taylor Graham wide at the left post and Kevin Sakuda's strike from 25 yards out curled wide at the right post. Twice Klaas sent cormers into the six-yard box but the Sounders could not get a foot on the loose ball before Olivieri corralled it or an Impact defender cleared it out of harms way.

Montreal then sealed the win with a counter down the left side in stoppage time. Ze Roberto played the ball off to a streaking Darko Kolis who dribbled into the penalty box off the right side and slotted the ball under Burpo's right arm from 10 yards away.

The loss was the first on the road for the Sounders in five away games. The Sounders next play Friday, July 8th, hosting the Portland Timbers at the Starfire Sports Complex in Tukwila.

         Montreal  Seattle
Shots:      19         9
Saves:       6        10
Corners:     7         9
Fouls:      15        10
Offsides:    3         0

45' MON - Gerba cautioned
67' MON - Ribeiro cautioned

Referees: Steven DePiero; Jonathan Lavergne, JF Corrivault; Tiger Liu

Attendance: 11,796