2005 May 7

Seattle Sounders  0 - 0  Vancouver Whitecaps
Qwest Field, Seattle, WA

Seattle: Preston Burpo; Taylor Graham, Zach Scott, Billy Sleeth (Gabe Sturm 69'), Ryan Edwards; Kevin Sakuda, CJ Klaas, Scott Jenkins, Brent Whitfield (Ben Somoza 74'); Roger Levesque, Welton. Substitutes not used: James Ward, Jake Besagno, Josh Hansen, Brett Wiesner, Franklin Chacon.

Vancouver: Mike Franks; Nick Dasovic, Liam de Silva, Kevin Harmse (Chris Franks 71'), Geordie Lyall; Jeff Clarke, Steve Klein, Steve Kindel (Joe Gjertsen 75'), Martin Nash (Jake Sagare 82'); Alfredo Valente (Dave Morris 54'), Jason Jordan (Said Ali 76'). Substitutes not used: Tino Cucca, Serge Djekanovic.

Additional match reports: King County Journal, Seattle Times, Sounders, Whitecaps.

Match report by Ron Stickney:

In a match largely devoid of offense, the host Seattle Sounders and the Vancouver Whitecaps drew 0-0. Seattle goalkeeper Preston Burpo needed two excellent saves to earn his shutout, while Mike Franks needed just one good save to earn Vancouver's shutout.

First Half

Nobody came close to scoring in the first half. For Seattle, CJ Klaas forced an easy save in the 4th minute on a free kick play when his shot was slowed by the wall. A long header by Scott Jenkins in the 23rd forced another save.

For Vancouver, Jason Jordan headed Geordie Lyall's cross on goal in the 40th, but Burpo had it covered.

Halftime: Seattle 0-0 Vancouver

Jordan created Vancouver's best chances in the middle of the second half. In the 59th he won a ball sent forward and carried it to the end line, turned back, and crossed to the near post for Dave Morris for a good chance from 5 yards, but Burpo was right there to smother the shot and hold onto the ball. In the 67th Jordan was sprung from the center circle with a pass from Morris and Jordan tried for the far post, but Burpo slid down and blocked the shot with his arms for a critical save.

Seattle had a couple of chances around the 70-minute mark. Sweeper Taylor Graham got his head on a corner kick, but Mike Franks had his hands inches away to snuff the shot. With Brent Whitfield on the attack at the arc, the ball was deflected in front of a charging Welton for an open shot from 20 yards that was struck hard, and Franks made the save on what would be Seattle's best chance of the match.

Vancouver had a few chances left. Martin Nash got a 20-yard shot from a cleared ball, but he bounced it right to Burpo. Said Ali got his foot on a ball sent in front of goal but popped it over the bar from 8 yards. Joe Gjertsen, a rookie from Tacoma who entered as a substitute, shot from the left in the 90th minute but was wide of the far post.

The last chance was Seattle's, when a Klaas free kick from the right found Graham's head but the shot cleared the bar.

Seattle's Gabe Sturm entered midway in the second half as a defender to log his first minutes as a pro.

Final: Seattle 0-0 Vancouver

          Seattle  Vancouver
Shots:       7         9
Saves:       4         3
Corners:     4         3
Fouls:      14        16
Offsides:    0         4

7' SEA - Jenkins cautioned for a foul at the halfway line
52' SEA - Klaas cautioned for what he said after being called for a foul
84' VAN - C Franks cautioned

Referees: Ben Chouaf; Jeff Hosking, Josh Wilkins; Shahram Pourazari

Attendance: 2,495