2005 May 25

Seattle Sounders Women  2 - 0  Vancouver Whitecaps Women
Qwest Field, Seattle, WA

4' SEA - Heath (Smith)
68' SEA - Arrant (Mueller)

Seattle: Lisa Brookens; Shannon Forslund (Mary Kuder 83'), Nicole Martinez, Sarah Groves, Dana Kimble (Janelle Munnis 69'); Nikki Gamble, Kelli Smith, Malia Arrant, Chalise Baysa; Brenda Mueller (Patty Blankenship 74'), Hillary Heath. Substitutes not used: Katie Hultin, Sheryl Williams, Amy Carnell.

Vancouver: Sian Bagshawe; Emily Zurrer, Clare Rustad, Lindsay Rohla, Ciara McCormack; Ashley McGhee, Sara Maglio, Monique Gjini, Kate Qually (Mahlleace Tomsin 46'); Martina Franko, Phebe Trotman (Sydney-Rae Leroux 57'). Substitutes not used: Stephanie Weston, Amy Apps, Erin McLeod.

Additional match reports: Sounders, Whitecaps.

Match report by Ron Stickney:

The Seattle Sounders Women beat the Vancouver Whitecaps Women 2-0 at home in the first meeting of the season between the local rivals. The previous meeting between these two sides went to Vancouver in the playoffs as the Whitecaps marched to the league championship. This was Vancouver's first loss in two years.

Seattle won both halves this day as Hillary Heath scored early and Malia Arrant added an insurance goal midway in the second period. Vancouver outshot Seattle 23-6, providing plenty of threats.

First Half

Vancouver's Martina Franko had the first shot of the match and was a yard over from the top of the arc.

4' Heath (Smith). The next minute Seattle scored on their first shot. Kelli Smith fought off a physical challenge in each half on a run up the left side, then served a diagonal through ball in front of Heath, who timed her break up the middle well. Two steps ahead of the defenders, Heath went left to round goalkeeper Sian Bagshawe and finished into the empty net. 1-0 Seattle.

The defenses ruled the next 20 minutes and then Vancouver's Ashley McGhee and Franko forced easy saves by Lisa Brookens. In the 29th minute Franko beat two defenders on the left for a shot from the top left of the penalty area that was well saved at the near post by Brookens.

Twice in 5 minutes Bagshawe was called for handling a backpass, giving Seattle rare indirect free kicks inside the Vancouver penalty area. The first produced a good shot by Smith that was deflected wide for a corner, and the second was wasted into the center of the wall.

In the 40th, Vancouver's Monique Gjini chipped a hopeful 20-yarder a half yard over the far corner.

In the 42nd for Seattle, Chalise Baysa's turn and shoot from 18 was well wide.

For Vancouver, Kate Qually's long serve into the box nearly bounced over Brookens, but she backpedaled to catch it overhead at the goal plane. A long free kick into the box was popped up by an attacker and Phebe Trotman outleaped Brookens to head it up, over the bar, and onto the top of the net. Franko finished the half with a hard shot from the arc, and Brookens saved in the center of the goal mouth.

Halftime: Seattle 1 - 0 Vancouver

The first good chance of the second half came in the 59th when Vancouver substitute Mahlleace Tomsin bent a 30-yard shot nicely at the far post, and Brookens got there for her best save yet. Franko crossed a promising ball for McGhee who was open on a run up the middle, but she skied the shot.

For Seattle, Smith on the left passed short to Heath close to goal, and Heath crossed to Brenda Mueller for a shot from the 6-yard line, but Ciara McCormack at the goal line blocked what looked like a sure goal.

68' Arrant (Mueller). Nikki Gamble found Mueller open wide right. Mueller carried to the end line, cut back, and centered the ball for Arrant on a run up the middle. Arrant's shot hit the underside of the crossbar hard and bounced down to the floor two yards past the goal line. 2-0 Seattle.

Vancouver had all the rest of the chances, putting continuous pressure on Seattle's goal. In the 73rd substitute Sydney Leroux was served open on the left for a dangerous shot/cross, and Brookens dove away from goal to snare it. Leroux seemed open for a 15-yard shot with only Brookens to beat, but Shannon Forslund slid in just in time to block the power shot and got up limping. Leroux got another chance when Sarah Groves failed to clear a ball she could have, and the sliding shot rolled inches wide of the far post. Leroux is just 15 years old.

Sara Maglio ran onto a loose ball in the box with Brookens away from her line, but the shot was blasted a yard too high. Franko shot hard from the top left corner of the penalty area in the 81st, and Brookens made it to the near post for the save. The last 10 minutes allowed just one good shot when Franko won a loose ball and rocketed it inches over the bar from the top of the arc.

Final: Seattle 2 - 0 Vancouver

         Seattle  Vancouver
Shots:       6       23
Saves:      10        0
Corners:     2        6
Fouls:       6       15
Offsides:    2        1


Referees: Kevin O'Daniel; Aaron Riner, Daniel Libby