2006 Apr 29

Preseason scrimmage:
Seattle Sounders  2 - 1  Seattle University
Pop Keeney Stadium, Bothell, WA

Sounders: Chris Eylander; Noah Merl, Jake Besagno, Nate Boyden (Roger Levesque 45), Seyi Abolaji (Gabe Sturm 45); Ben Somoza, Kevin Sakuda (CJ Klaas 45'), Jake Sagare (Jamal Sutton 45'), Santa Maria Rivera; Alex Churskey, Cam Weaver.

Seattle U: Nick Gargiulo; Eric Forner, Ian Walsh, Peter Mullenbach, Hans Esterhuizen; Elliot Fauske, John Fishbaugher, Craig Buitrago, Luiz Gamez, Pat Thomas; Andrew Kreiter (Conor Chinn 27').

72' SU - Fishbaugher (Chinn)
76' SS - Sutton (Weaver)
87' SS - Levesque (Klaas)

Additional match reports: SounderCentral.com

Match report from the Sounders:

On a soggy evening at Bothell's Pop Keeney Stadium the Seattle Sounders fought their way back from a late 1-0 deficit to capture a 2-1 victory over Seattle University. Late game substitutes Roger Levesque and Jamal Sutton provided the scoring power for the Sounders as they scored two goals in the match's final 15 minutes.

The Sounders controlled possession a majority of the first half, forcing the SU goalkeeper Nick Gargiulo to make two saves including one on a point blank shot by Sounder Midfielder Jake Sagare. The Sounders had three solid shot opportunities, including one in the 28th minute on a free kick by Midfielder Ben Somoza that flew just wide left of the post.

In the 30th minute, moving the ball down the right sideline, Sagare closed in on the goal. About 12 yards out, Sagare fired a shot to the top near corner, but the shot was deflected out of play by the keeper for a Sounders corner kick. Perhaps the Sounders best shot opportunity of the first half came in the 34th minute as Somoza curled a pass to Forward Cam Weaver near the goal line, who just missed a touch on the ball.

Sounder forwards Jamal Sutton and Roger Levesque entered the game in the second half and provided an offensive spark off the bench. Levesque rifled off seven shots including the go-ahead goal in the 87th minute.

Seattle University nearly took the lead in the 53rd minute. Redhawks forward Connor Chinn worked a loose ball behind the Sounders defense earning a one on one with Sounders keeper Eylander. The Sounders caught a break when Chinn's shot sailed wide left.

While the Sounders maintained possession most of the game, they applied relentless pressure on the Seattle University defense in the second half taking advantage of their numerous corner kicks. In the 55th minute off a CJ Klaas corner kick towards the far post, Jamal Sutton attempted the header along the back side but the incoming ball was just high.

The Redhawks took a 1-0 lead in the 72nd minute in a quick transition goal. S.U.'s Chinn chased down a ball into the left corner sending a crossing pass back across the box. Hustling to the ball, S.U. midfielder John Fishbaugher hit a low drive inside far left post past a diving Eylander.

Moments later, the Sounders' Sutton drilled the equalizer in the 76th minute on a pass from Weaver seven yards outside the top left corner of the box. Settling the ball, Sutton with time and room launched a 23-yard rocket into the far upper V. Weaver was credited with the assist.

In the 87th minute, on the Sounders ninth corner kick of the half, Klaas hit Levesque charging through the box. With a well-directed header, Levesque gave the Sounders a lead 2-1 lead with just minutes left in the match.

Highlighting the match for the Redhawks was goalkeeper Nick Gargiulo, who recorded seven saves on nine shots faced; the Sounders took 20 total shots throughout the match.

Capturing game one of back-to-back exhibition matches this weekend with S.U., the Sounders face the Redhawks again tomorrow night, April 30th at Kent's French Field. Kickoff is 5:30 pm.