2008 Apr 19

Charleston Battery  1 - 1  Seattle Sounders
Blackbaud Stadium, Charleston, SC

Charleston: Dusty Hudock; Marco Reda, John Wilson, Nelson Akwari, Tim Velten; Osvaldo Alonso, Louie Rolko, Mike Richardson; Randi Patterson, Darren Spicer, Aaron King (David Kenga 82'). Substitutes not used: Brandon Curran, Kevin Nylen, Jordan Hughes, Lazo Alavanja, Lester More.

Seattle: Chris Eylander; Danny Jackson, Taylor Graham, Zach Scott, Kevin Sakuda (Jason Cascio 78'); Kenji Treschuk, Hugo Alcaraz-Cuellar, John Fishbaugher (Andre Schmid 68'), Josh Gardner; Roger Levesque, Sebastien Le Toux. Substitutes not used: Ben Dragavon, Noah Merl, Leighton O'Brien.

37' CHA: Rolko (King)
90' SEA: Treschuk

Additional match reports: Battery.

Match report from the Sounders:

Defending USL champion Seattle Sounders kicked off the 2008 regular season campaign with a 1-1 draw in Charleston against the Battery. A late goal from Kenji Treschuk in stoppage time rescued a point for Seattle.

The goal started out with a free kick after a hard tackle on Josh Gardner that earned a yellow card for midfielder Tim Velton. Hugo Alcaraz-Cuellar sent a ball into the box that fell to Sebastien Le Toux, whose shot was deflected and bounced to Kenji Treschuk, whose strike from just outside the box found the bottom far corner of the net.

While the Sounders at times looked rusty and struggled to contain the runs of Charleston striker Aaron King, they were able to hang around with timely defense and an outstanding performance from goalkeeper Chris Eylander.

Eylander produced a string of great saves including a penalty kick save in the 61st minute that allowed the team to rescue a point later.

The Sounders came out with some early jitters and a defensive breakdown in the 1st minute allowed the Battery to get deep into the box. The Battery sent in multiple shots and looked sure to score with Chris Eylander out of position, but Taylor Graham cleared a shot off the goal line to prevent the early disadvantage.

After the 1st minute scare, the Sounders started to settle in and dominate possession for the next 10 minutes. Hugo Alcaraz-Cuellar directed traffic in the center of the field, picking out forwards Roger Levesque and Sebastien LeToux for long balls and combinations.

One of these balls found Le Toux in the 14th minute for a one on one breakaway with keeper Dusty Hudock. Hudock got the better of Le Toux when he went down left and prevented the league MVP from slotting it home.

The next twenty minutes were an up and down track meet with both teams creating chances, but neither team converting.

The Battery drew first blood in the 40th minute with a brilliant strike from 20 yards from midfielder Louie Rolko. The play started with the Battery coming down the left side and sliding a pass to striker Aaron King, who passed over to Rolko, who struck it from distance and found the back of the net.

The half ended with Charleston holding a 1-0 advantage.

At the start of the second half, the Sounders were the aggressors, looking to equalize early. The speed and tenacity of Seattle's forwards created problems for the Charleston backline, but corners created in the 48th and 53rd minute failed to find a goal for the blue and white.

Seattle looked in a big hole in the 61st when a penalty kick was awarded after Zach Scott brought down Aaron King in the box. Mike Richardson stepped up to the spot and sent his shot in towards the lower left corner, but the attempt was pushed wide by Eylander and Seattle maintained the 1-0 scoreline.

The penalty save gave the team energy but they were unable to unlock the Battery defense and created few shots on goal. With the 90th minute approaching, the defending champions looked sure to drop their first contest of the season.

However, Treschuk was able to collect the loose ball in stoppage time and save a point.

        Charleston   Seattle
Shots:       14         9
Saves:        9         3
Corners:      2         4
Fouls:       10        13
Offsides:     2         8

27' CHA: Reda cautioned
37' SEA: Alcaraz-Cuellar cautioned
40' CHA: Alonso cautioned
61' SEA: Scott cautioned
90' CHA: Velten cautioned
90' SEA: Gardner cautioned

Referees: Mark Kadlecik; Chris Spivey, Daniel Fitzgerald; Jeremy Brooks

Attendance: 4,324