2011 May 30

Sounders FC Reserves stay perfect with a win at Portland Timbers Reserves

Portland Timbers Reserves  0 - 2  Seattle Sounders FC Reserves
JELD-WEN Field, Portland, OR

77' SEA: Servando Carrasco
89' SEA: David Estrada (Leo Gonzalez)

Portland: Adin Brown; Freddie Braun, Ross Smith, David Horst, Chris Taylor; Ryan Pore (Spencer Thompson 68'), James Marcelin, Adam Moffat (Bim Ogunyemi 85'), Rodrigo Lopez; Eddie Johnson, Brian Umony.
Substitutes not used: Jesus Gonzalez.

Seattle: Terry Boss; Roger Levesque, Zach Scott, Taylor Graham, Leo Gonzalez; Miguel Montaņo (Sean Okoli 78'), Servando Carrasco, Michael Seamon, Michael Tetteh; Pat Noonan (Aaron Kovar 81'), Fredy Montero (David Estrada 65').
Substitutes not used: Bryan Meredith, DeAndre Yedlin.

Match report from Ron Stickney:

Servando Carrasco's rifled free kick goal was the highlight of this Reserve League match as the Seattle Sounders FC Reserves kept their record perfect with a 2-0 win over the Portland Timbers Reserves at JELD-WEN Field in Portland. David Estrada hustled for a late goal to seal the win. The Sounders Reserves are now 4-0-0 in the Reserve League.

Seattle started Fredy Montero and Pat Noonan up top, a pairing worthy of the first side. But the goals did not come until they left the match.

Zach Scott, who played well at center back, was the first to come close when he rose to head Miguel Montaņo's corner kick just wide of the far post.

Portland's first shot came when Brian Umony was almost sprung through Seattle's back line, but a defender on each of Umony's flanks kept pace and pressured the shot wide.

Noonan had a good chance from Seattle's next corner kick but shot well wide.

Portland hit the woodwork when David Horst got a good, clean header from a free kick but shot it hard off the top of the crossbar. Eddie Johnson had an even better look from the left side of the penalty area when center back Taylor Graham fell while challenging, but Johnson wasted the chance over the bar.

Montero got his chance when Noonan stole the ball in Portland's end and dished it off. After beating two defenders Montero had a shot from a steep angle but fired it to the wrong side of the near post.

Noonan put in good work at both ends of the pitch. Portland pressured with three set plays just before the half hour mark and Noonan headed the ball clear all three times. Portland's next corner kick came soon, and Horst had a chance at the far post and headed it wide when he could have done better.

At 33' Michael Seamon made a great run up the middle and was fed by Noonan for what looked to be a good chance, but a defender got there just in time to poke in a foot and block the shot.

The first save of the match came at 37' when Braun fed Portland midfielder Ryan Pore for a shot from the 18 aimed nicely at the lower corner. Terry Boss dove to parry it wide, and the rebound went to Umony who was offside. The last save of the match came two minutes later when Horst headed on goal, but right to Boss.

Seattle had the last good chance of the half when Montaņo sent in a great cross from the right and Noonan headed it on a bounce just past the far post.

The second half was fairly uneventful until almost the one-hour mark, when Noonan head-flicked Roger Levesque's cross just wide of the far post. Montaņo tried from a run up the middle and missed the lower corner by a half yard. Scott got a header at the far post from a free kick, but couldn't reach all of the ball.

At 73' Portland hit the woodwork again when Johnson head-flicked Chris Taylor's cross onto the wrong side of the far post and the ball went out for a goal kick.

77' SEA: Carrasco. The lone yellow card of the match came when Braun was late with the challenge and got Michael Tetteh's leg hard. Carrasco took the free kick in the middle of Portland's end, 25 yards from goal. He rifled it over the wall and into the top right corner for a stunner of a goal. 1-0 Seattle.

Seattle defended well with the lead, as Portland never got a chance at an equalizer. Entering for the Sounders were Acadamy players Sean Okoli and Aaron Kovar. DeAndre Yedlin was on the bench for Seattle, but didn't get a chance to enter.

89' SEA: Estrada (L Gonzalez). Seattle left back Leo Gonzalez won a loose ball just inside the end Seattle was defending and chipped it over Portland's back line. Estrada, who had entered midway in the second half, beat two defenders to the ball and touched it by goalkeeper Adin Brown, who got just a piece of it. Estrada was first to the ball wide of goal and had to beat one retreating defender with the low shot. 2-0 Seattle.

Two minutes were added, but again Seattle defended well to give Boss a shutout.

          POR  SEA
Shots:      9   15
Saves:      0    2
Corners:    2    9
Fouls:      8   13
Offsides:   5    2

76' POR: Braun cautioned for a late challenge, getting Tetteh in the leg

Referees: Ronald Lagraff; Jeremy Hanson, Cesar Tercero; Farhad Dadko

Attendance: 3,393