Match Thirteen

"I was simply trying to protect my players and the referee asked me to leave." - Hinton

Montreal Impact
July 4, 1995

Seattle wins Shootout.

Fry (S)         25' (1st)
Doliscat (M)    45' (1st)
Dougherty (M)   20' (2nd)
Hattrup (S)     30' (2nd)

Attendance:  4,067
Transcribed by Ron Stickney from the Journal American (Bellevue, WA):

The Seattle Sounders' longest road trip of the season ended on a wild note yesterday as the Sounders outlasted the Montreal Impact 2-3 in a shootout.

A crowd of 4,067 watched the Sounders claim a club-record third consecutive road victory and improve their record to a league-leading 10-3 and 28 points. Montreal fell to 6-4 and has 19 points (but has 3 games in hand compared to the Sounders).

"This was an unbelievable road trip for us," said Sounders coach Alan Hinton, whose team went undefeated on its 3-game, 10-day road trip. "I am very proud of the boys and they certainly found a way to win when our backs were against the wall."

The physical and tense match created more than its share of controversy and drama as Hinton and Seattle goalie Marcus Hahnemann were red carded while four other Sounders picked up yellow cards. Seattle was called for 25 fouls while Montreal was cited for 9 fouls.

"I was simply trying to protect my players and the referee asked me to leave," said Hinton of his ejection in the 55th minute. "Our players had four yellow cards in the first half and they [Montreal] had none in a very physical game."

The Sounders controlled the pace of the match in the first half and took a 1-0 lead in the 25th minute when Chance Fry pumped in his sixth goal of the season and his fourth in as many games. David Hoggan was credited with the assist.

Just before halftime, the Impact tied the match at 1-1 when Rudy Doliscat scored on Hahnemann on an assist from John Limniatis. The Montreal goal ended a 314-minute scoring drought against the Sounders defense.

The Impact's Paul Dougherty gave Montreal a 2-1 lead in the 65th minute on an unassisted goal, but the Sounders charged back in the 75th minute to tie the match at 2-2 when Peter Hattrup, the league's top scorer, headed in his seventh goal of the season when he finished a crossing from Fry.

After 90 minutes of play the match ended at 2-2 and the Sounders were on their way to their third shootout in four games.

After the first five shooters, the score remained deadlocked at 1-1 as Seattle's Marco Rizi and Montreal's Nick DeSantis were the only successful shooters.

Montreal's sixth shooter Tim Kouzmanis then took his chance and was pulled down by Hahnemann in an attempt to score. Referee Manuel Soua instantly issued Hahnemann a red card and awarded Montreal a penalty kick.

Montreal's Paulinho, who missed his shootout attempt as the fifth shooter, converted the penalty kick against Seattle defender James Dunn, who replaced Hahnemann in the net.

With one last chance to tie the match, the Sounders called on 19-year veteran Hoggan on the next shootout attempt. Hoggan slid a shot past Ceccarelli and evened the count at 2-2.

With James Dunn in the net, Montreal's Limniatis was up next for the Impact in the shootout. Limniatis' shot sailed over the crossbar which gave the Sounders a chance to win the match.

Second-year midfielder Jason Farrell, taking the first shootout attempt of his pro career, booted in the game winner.

[Front Page]