Sounders Header July 8, 1997

SF Bay Seals 1 - 0 Seattle Sounders
US Open Cup, Second Round
Negoesco Stadium, University of San Francisco

43' SFB: White (Cowell)

San Francisco: Wozniak, DaVini, Weaver, Folan, Watkins (Ritta), Simpson,Cowell, Gallo, Sahjo, White (Black), Brown.

Seattle: Hudock, James, Jenkins, Watson (McNiel), Megson, Hattrup, Aunger, Hoggan (Crothers), Gelvezon (Barton), Adair, Gailey.

Shots: SFB 9, Sea 7
Cautions: Aunger (Sea), Hoggan (Sea)
Referee: Rutti

The Seattle Sounders fell to the San Francisco Bay Seals, of the USISL D3 Pro League, in the second round of the 1997 US Open Cup played at Negoesco Stadium on the campus of the University of San Francisco. Seattle, a quarterfinalist last year and a semifinalist two seasons ago, bows out at its earliest point in its three-year Cup competition.

The lone goal of the match came at 43' off forward Marquis White's point-blank, far-post blast off a 22-yard cross from midfielder Troya Cowell.  Cowell took on and beat two Sounder defenders down the touchline, then whipped a sharp cross into the area which White converted past Sounder goalkeeper Dusty Hudock.

Despite pounding San Francisco in the second half and hitting the post twice,  Seattle failed to find the net, outshooting the Seals 5-2 in the second half.

The match was the third in five days for Seattle.

San Francisco Bay moves on to face MLS' San Jose Clash in the third round of the US Open Cup.

A second match report was posted to the North Amercan Soccer mailing list by eyewitness Colin Morris.

What a great pleasure to be able to attend a club match in the US unencumbered by the cruft that afflicts MLS games.  A nominally 3rd v 2nd division matchup saw a well deserved victory for a skilful San Francisco side over a tetchy and ultimately frustrated Seattle team. Apart from a brief period in the 2nd half, San Francisco always held the edge mainly
due to the persistent problems that Marquis White and Shani Simpson caused the lunbering Sounders' defenders. After going close a couple of times, San Francisco took the lead in the 41st minute when a low cross from the left wing eluded goalkeeper Dusty Huddock leaving Marquis White free to tap the ball in.

Seattle gradually fought their way into the game in the second-half and created a few chances including a header from Hattrup that Wozniak pushed onto the bar. But San Francisco always looked dangerous on the break and could well have added to their tally towards the end. All in all, a nice game for a total neutral like me to watch. Just a pity that this act of "giant"-killing was witnessed by such a sparse crowd.

[Front Page]