Sounders Header May 18, 1997

Atlanta Ruckus 0-0 Seattle Sounders (Seattle wins CrapShootout)

Attendance: 3,782

Match report from Atlanta fan Jason Longshore:

In a hard fought match, Seattle defeated the Atlanta Ruckus in the shootout after a scoreless draw in regulation time. Atlanta's largest crowd of the season, 3782, turned out on a beautiful day for soccer.

Seattle had the better of play in the first half, outshooting the Ruckus eight to six. The Sounders waged an aerial battle against the Ruckus defense, their direct style causing problems early. Mike Gailey was especially dangerous for the Sounders with numerous good chances in front of Eddie Carvacho's goal.

Atlanta regrouped and played a strong second half against the A-League's defending champions. Carlos Jacinto and Kevin Kinley came off the bench to provide a spark. Mo Suri put the ball in the back of the net midway through the second half, only to have the goal called back due to handball. Chris Dunlap and Golla Negatu made many dangerous forays into the Seattle defensive third of the field, causing the Sounders' defense problems.

Regulation ended with a flurry in front of Atlanta's goal, Carvacho was forced to make three saves to keep the Ruckus in the match. Play became physical towards the end of the match as both teams became frustrated with their inability to score.

Both teams had chances to score during the sudden death overtime period.  Chugger Adair had the game's best chance with less than a minute on the clock. Carvacho denied him from point blank range to give the Ruckus a chance in the shootout. Carvacho said, "The crowd helped me make that last save, I was psyched."

Seattle outscored the Ruckus in the shootout 3-1. Derek Crothers, Mike Gailey, and Geoff Aunger converted for the Sounders while Carlos Jacinto scored Atlanta's lone shootout goal. John Regan's fourth round attempt was batted wide by Seattle goalkeeper Dusty Hudock to give Seattle one point in the standings.

[Front Page]