April 24, 1998
Vancouver Eighty-Sixers  2 - 1  Seattle Sounders (aet)
Swangard Stadium, Vancouver, BC

MacDonald (V) 28
Megson (S) 70
C. Clarke (V) 95

Van: Paul Dolan, Craig Dalrymple, Richie Sumner, Steve MacDonald, Chris Franks, Jeff Skinner, Oliver Heald, Paul Dailly, Steve Kindel (75' Ian Clarke), Jason Jordan, Domenic Mobilio (69' Chris Clarke).

Sea: Dusty Hudock, Bernie James, Scott Jenkins, Brandon Prideaux, Jason Annicchero, Neil Megson (72' Eugene Poublon), Stoner Tadlock, Paul Gelvezon, Kei Kinoshita, David Hoggan, Erik Storkson.

Match report from Ron Stickney based on the radio broadcast, heard on KOL 1300 AM in Seattle.

Every time Seattle and the Vancouver 86ers met last year, the winner could walk off the pitch
in first place. The same held true for this match, as Vancouver's 2-1 overtime win pulled them
into a 4-way tie for the Pacific Division lead with the Sounders, the San Francisco Bay Seals
and the California Jaguars.

Seattle are suffering from an alarming number of injuries for just two weeks into the season.
The Jamaicans were all out, Patrick Beech with a sore hip, Fabian Davis with a sore ankle and
Kevin Lamey still in Jamaica. David Hoggan, Neil Megson and Eugene Poublon all played while
nagged by injuries. Rookie Ian Russell and veteran Chugger Adair are still recovering, with
Adair due back on June 1.

Vancouver threatened as early as the 2nd minute when the Sounder defense let Paul Dailly enter the area for an open shot, pushed over the bar by Hudock. Veteran Domenic Mobilio took a pair of shots, the first when Jason Annicchero tried to block a long pass but instead deflected the ball to Mobilio, and the next a minute later when Mobilio beat Annicchero only to shoot over
the cross bar. Steve Kindel tried a 35-yarder but was wide, and Richie Sumner was a yard high
from 30 yards out.

Kei Kinoshita got Seattle's first good shot from 25 yards on an attack started by Stoner
Tadlock, forcing a save from netminder Paul Dolan.

28' MacDonald. Kinoshita's foul gave Vancouver a free kick from 30 yards. From Oliver Heald's
free kick, the ball was headed onto the cross bar, and the rebound fell in front of Steve
MacDonald who finished the goal.

Seattle got a chance from a free kick at 39' when Neil Megson headed sharply on goal. Paul
Dolan made the save and his momentum carried him into the goal, but he kept the ball from
crossing the line.

Seattle's Erik Storkson got knocked down while going up for a header and needed some treatment on the pitch, but he stayed in. In the final minute of the half, David Hoggan saw the yellow card while arguing for a Seattle corner kick rather than a Vancouver goal kick. Then Brandon Prideaux stopped Jason Jordan's hard shot with the chin.

Vancouver took the 1-0 lead into the locker room, feeling good about controlling most of the
play in the first half.

Second Half

Vancouver threatened early again in the second half, heading a corner kick just over the bar.

At 58' from Hoggan's feed, Scott Jenkins headed on goal and forced Dolan to tip the ball over
for a corner. From the resulting corner kick, Storkson shot from 2 yards and hit the outside of
the net, wanting another corner but not getting awarded one.

Dailly pounced on a blocked Vancouver shot and took a good shot from 10 yards, but Hudock

Tadlock got free on a good run but was taken down by Chris Franks, who was cautioned for the
nastiness. Tadlock couldn't resist retaliating against Franks and earned a yellow card as well.

70' Megson (Gelvezon). Finding space on the left side, Paul Gelvezon beat a man and sent a
cross to Megson, who got up and headed the ball down toward the goal. Dolan got a hand on the shot but couldn't stop it.

Hoggan sent in a dangerous cross for the sliding Storkson, but he could only reach a piece of
the ball, and Dolan easily saved the shot.

Heald beat two Seattle defenders to earn a good chance, but Hudock was equal to the near-post shot. Vancouver took ten corner kicks in the half, several in the last few minutes. MacDonald got his head on two of the later ones, forcing a save by Hudock on one, then sending the other wide while bothered by Storkson.


Vancouver pressured early in the overtime period when some balls rattled around in front of
Seattle's goal, but Vancouver couldn't get the ball through the defense.

At 94' Hoggan received a pass on a Seattle attack, turned and shot, forcing a save by Dolan.

95' C. Clarke (Dailly). Suddenly on a counterattack, Chris Clarke, who had come on for Mobilio,
found space to attack on the left, passed to Dailly, and got the ball back. Clarke beat sweeper
Bernie James with his shot and beat Hudock inside the near post for the match winner.

These two teams have the rest of April off, then meet in Seattle on May 2 for a rematch, the
Sounders' home opener. Kickoff is at 7:00 at Seattle Memorial Stadium.


Shots: Vancouver 28, Seattle 8
Saves: Dolan 5, Hudock 6
Corners: Vancouver 14, Seattle 2
Fouls: Vancouver 12, Seattle 20
Offside: Vancouver 3, Seattle 3

45' Sea: Hoggan cautioned for arguing for a corner kick.
49' Sea: Megson cautioned for a hard foul.
64' Van: Franks cautioned for taking Tadlock down during a run.
64' Sea: Tadlock cautioned for retaliating against Franks.

Attendance: 6,039 (a nice crowd for the 86ers' home opener)