July 27, 1998

L'Impact de Montreal  0 - 1  Seattle Sounders
Centre Claude-Robillard, Montreal
McCormick (Sea) 87'

Sea: Dusty Hudock; Bernie James, Jason Annicchero, Randy Mann; Neil Megson, David Hoggan (81' Paul Gelvezon), Brandon Prideaux, Scott Jenkins, Dick McCormick; Mark Baena (81' Peter Hattrup), Patrick Beech (74' Kei Kinoshita).

Mon: Paul Shepherd; John Limniatis, Patrick Diotte, Nicola Corneli, Nevio Pizzolitto; Bill Sedgewick, Bruno Xavier, Nick DeSantis, Mauro Biello; Joe Lande, Grant Needham (83' Paul Kitsum).

Match report from Ron Stickney, based on the live radio broadcast on 1300 KOL-AM:
The Seattle Sounders just seem to have the Montreal Impact's number. In 11 previous pairings Montreal had never beaten the Sounders save for two CrapShootout wins after drawn matches. Seattle kept the monkey on Montreal's back, winning this match on a lone goal in the 87th minute when Dick McCormick headed in a cross from Scott Jenkins. It was deja vu all over again -- a little more than two years ago McCormick scored a lone goal in the 86th minute to beat Montreal on their turf.

Although there were not a large number of fouls, play was rough at times and 9 cards were shown. Seattle were a man down from the 55th minute when player/coach Neil Megson was red-carded for a hard foul on Nick DeSantis. In the 80th, the sides were leveled when Bill Sedgewick was sent off for his second yellow card, both given for fouls against Sounder rookie Brandon Prideaux.

First Half

As in the Seattle's previous match, Patrick Beech took the first shot early, a 20-yard low shot that skipped off the wet grass with trouble written all over it, but goalkeeper Paul Shepherd managed to deflect it out for a corner.

Montreal then had the better of the play for most of the half. The Impact tried their luck with a 30-yarder that also skipped off the grass and Sounder keeper Dusty Hudock deflected this one out for a Montreal corner. Limniatis sent a 30-yard free kick wide of goal. Nevio Pizzolitto's 30-yard shot was easily saved by Hudock.

Seattle nearly surprised Montreal with a goal when player/coach Neil Megson stole the ball and passed to Beech, whose through ball let Mark Baena put the ball in the net, but Baena was flagged for offside on the play.

Mauro Biello's dribbling skills earned Montreal some prime chances midway in the half. First Biello dribbled in and shot for the far post, forcing a diving save by Hudock. The rebound went to Grant Needham, wide open 6 yards from goal, but he miskicked the ball and sent it sideways. Montreal got a third shot out of this attack, but Scott Jenkins blocked it. A few minutes later Biello beat Jenkins, then Bernie James for a shot but sent it over the bar.

Seattle earned a free kick just outside the arc when Beech was fouled. On the free kick play, Beech hit the wall and the ball deflected out for a corner.

A Montreal corner kick went over the crowd for Needham, who collected the garbage and teed up a 20-yard shot. Hudock, partially screened, did well to parry the shot and grab the ball.

Veteran Bill Sedgewick and rookie Brandon Prideaux had been pushing and shoving throughout the first half, and in the final minute Sedgewick earned his first card for a foul against Prideaux.

Halftime:  0 - 0

Beech also took the first good shot of the second half when he carried the ball forward and sent a low shot just wide of the near post.

A minute later at 55', Megson was sent off for a hard foul against DeSantis near the halfway line.

Montreal soon took a 30-yard shot right at Hudock, but then the short-footed Sounders created several good chances on counterattacks. From McCormick's feed, Beech's 20-yard shot went off Shepherd's hands and just over the bar. Beech beat a defender for another 20-yarder, but it was sent wide as he was heavily pressured, and his plea for a foul call went unheeded. David Hoggan centered a ball that Baena headed on goal, but Shepherd was equal to the effort.

Montreal created a chance when Sedgewick centered a ball across the goal mouth, but Biello couldn't quite get to the ball. A minute later DeSantis just missed the top right corner with a 23-yard free kick. Pizzolitto's 25-yard, low, skipping shot was saved by a diving Hudock.

At 80' Sedgewick did the Sounders a favor by taking down Prideaux again and earning a second yellow card. With 10 minutes left, the sides were even again at 10, leaving some extra space on the pitch.

The next minute Paul Gelvezon and Peter Hattrup came on for Hoggan and Beech. Within seconds Gelvezon was booked for running into Limniatis with a high boot.

Montreal had another great chance when a through ball put Pizzolitto 12 yards from goal with only Hudock to beat. The shot was pushed wide by a great Hudock save to preserve the shutout and leave the match up for grabs.

87' McCormick (Jenkins). Hattrup dribbled the ball up the middle to 35 yards from goal, then sent a pass into the left corner. Jenkins sent a nice cross to McCormick's head 10 yards out from goal and McCormick buried the ball for the match winner and a favorable beginning to this 4-match road trip.

Final:  Montreal  0 - 1  Seattle


Shots: Mon 16, Sea 9
Saves: Shepherd 3, Hudock 9
Corners: Mon 8, Sea 7
Fouls: Mon 13, Sea 15
Offside: Mon 2, Sea 8

5' Limniatis (Mon) cautioned
15' McCormick (Sea) cautioned for a late foul
27' Hoggan (Sea) cautioned
45' Sedgewick (Mon) cautioned for a foul against Prideaux
55' Megson (Sea) sent off for a hard foul on DeSantis
73' Pizzolitto (Mon) cautioned for an altercation
80' Sedgewick (Mon) cautioned for another hard foul on Prideaux and sent off for his second caution
81' Gelvezon (Sea) cautioned for hitting Limniatis with a high boot

Referee: Diakese
Attendance: 3,525