June 21, 1998

Seattle Sounders  1 - 4  Colorado Rapids
Marysville-Pilchuk Stadium, Marysville, WA
Waldir (Col) 23
Henderson (Col) 25
de Andrade (Col) 32
White (Col) 59
Kinoshita (Sea) 83

Sea: Dusty Hudock; Bernie James, Scott Jenkins (Shannon Murray 63), Brandon Prideaux, Jason Annicchero; Randy Mann, David Hoggan, Paul Gelvezon (Kei Kinoshita 45), Fabian Davis (Stoner Tadlock 45); Patrick Beech, Erik Storkson.

Col: Marcus Hahnemann (Paul Grafer 45); Steve Trittschuh, Sean Henderson, Chris Martinez, Joey DiGiamarino (Andre Nunley 45); Adrian Paz (Marquis White 32), Tahj Jakins, Emerson de Andrade; Chris Henderson (Tyrone Marshall 45), Paul Bravo (Jason Boyce 45), Waldir (Wolde Harris 45).

Match report from Ron Stickney:
The first-division Colorado Rapids reacquainted the Seattle Sounders with reality, scoring four goals before the Sounders finally found the net seven minutes from time. The Sounders had won 10-0 two days earlier against a makeshift California Jaguars team that lost its original roster due to bouncing paychecks.

The locals playing for Colorado all had productive outings. Defender Sean Henderson from Everett's Cascade High School assisted the Rapids' first goal and scored the second. Brother Chris Henderson assisted the third goal. Ex-Husky Jason Boyce assisted Colorado's fourth goal with his corner kick. Goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann, the ex-Sounder from Bellevue and SPU, shut out his old team in the first half before sitting out the second.

Patrick Beech set up Kei Kinoshita's goal near the end to avoid the shutout.

The match was played on grass under sunny skies with a cool breeze. The Marysville Youth Soccer Association had improved the pitch for the match, widening it to about 60 yards.

First Half

Seattle earned the first shot when Erik Storkson was put through on the right with a well-timed run, but he sent the shot way over the goal. Colorado's first shots were a pair of rockets sent up the middle by Chris Henderson, missing the top right, then the top left corner.

23' Waldir (S. Henderson). Midway in the first half Colorado opened the scoring when Sean Henderson's cross from the right touch line found Waldir alone ten yards from the far post. Waldir had time to chest the ball down and pick his spot, sending a low shot past goalkeeper Dusty Hudock.

25' S. Henderson (de Andrade). Colorado rapidly struck again. Emerson de Andrade, a Brazilian forward trying out for the Rapids, used a bicycle kick to send a 10-yard pass up to Sean Henderson at the offside line. Henderson's first touch sent the ball past the charging Hudock and in off the far post.

David Hoggan tried to answer for Seattle with a nice cross from the right side, but Paul Gelvezon's volley was a yard wide left.

32' de Andrade (C. Henderson). Chris Henderson chased an overplayed ball to the goal line and saved it from going out. No Sounder had given chase, so Henderson had time to find the open man, de Andrade, for a well-placed header.

Hudock made a trio of good saves in the final ten minutes. He pushed Waldir's shot over the bar, dove to catch Paul Bravo's 25-yard blast up the middle, and went down to make a leg save of Marquis White's close-in shot on the right.

Of Colorado's nine shots in the first half, seven were on goal.

Halftime:  Seattle  0 - 3  Colorado

Six of Colorado's starters were on the bench to open the second half. Wolde Harris, just on at the half, fired three shots in his first ten minutes, forcing two saves from Hudock.

59' White (Harris, Boyce). Boyce's corner kick from the right was deflected into the goal area by Harris and White, in the center of the goal area, had time to settle the ball and shoot for the easy goal.

Colorado probably deserved a couple of PKs in the 69th minute, but the referee refused to grant them with Colorado up 4-0. Harris dribbled past sweeper Bernie James and was pulled back as he shot. Then White was kicked in the chest from behind by Jason Annicchero as White got to a through ball first for a shot.

Harris got another chance a minute later when he settled a ball in the corner of the area, measured the distance, and chipped the ball over the defender and Hudock, hitting the top of the crossbar.

Seattle finally created some chances in the final 20 minutes. Patrick Beech got the ball past goalkeeper Paul Grafer, but a defender got to the sitter in front of the goal before Beech could. As the defender dribbled out of danger, Beech tripped him from behind, earning the only yellow card of the match.

Prideaux's 40-yard free kick was curling into the top left corner, but Grafer pushed it over for a corner. From Hoggan's corner kick, Beech just missed the top right corner with a header.

83' Kinoshita (Beech). Beech stole a ball from Colorado and pushed a roller past Grafer in front of the goal. Kei Kinoshita slid in feet first to assure that the ball entered the goal.

Final:  Seattle  1 - 4  Colorado


Shots: Sea 8, Col 23
Saves: Hudock 9; Hahnemann 0, Grafer 3
Corners: Seattle 4, Col 8
Fouls: Seattle 8, Col 5
Offside: Seattle 8, Col 0

72' Beech (Sea) cautioned for tripping from behind

Referee: Mohammed Zharrabi-Kashani