May 30, 1998

Spokane Shadow 0 - 1 Seattle Sounders
Joe Albi Stadium, Spokane, WA

Storkson (S) 74

Spokane: Foust; Saunders, Bruno, Houck; LaRochelle, Thompson (Marks 56), Wibbling, Barton, Brown, McAllister, Ching.

Seattle: Dusty Hudock (Burpo 46); Jenkins, Tadlock, Annicchero; Poublon (Russell 46), Prideaux, Kinoshita, Murray, Davis; Beech, Lamey (Storkson 46).

Based on the Sounders' match report:

The Seattle Sounders defeated the Spokane Shadow 1-0 in front of a USISL Premier League record crowd of 3,657 fans at Joe Albi Stadium in Spokane. Erik Storkson recorded his second match winner in as many matches, heading in a goal off an assist from Patrick Beech in the 74th minute. Beech controlled a ball just outside the right side of the Shadow penalty area and crossed the ball for Storkson, who beat Spokane goalkeeper Josh Foust with a header from six yards out.

First Half

Playing their first match in nearly three weeks, the Sounders came out fighting and dominated play throughout the first 20 minutes using a combination of speed and skill to pin the Shadow in their defensive half. The 20 days off showed, though, as the Sounders began to struggle with their passing and played a bit out of sync for the last 25 minutes of the half. Spokane stepped up their play and had the better of the last 25 minutes of action.

Both teams created a number of scoring opportunities in the first half. Seattle's best shot was a rocket from Kei Kinoshita in the 1st minute. Shannon Murray, formerly of the Sounders and then the CISL SeaDogs, had a great opportunity but missed wide right on a wide open header from seven yards out. Murray has been working out with the Sounders and is not on the roster for league play. Kevin Lamey might have played himself out of the starting lineup after being denied on a one-on-one against goalkeeper Foust.

Former Sounder midfielder Kieran Barton had Spokane's two best chances in the first half, but keeper Dusty Hudock saved both shots.

Second Half

Spokane opened the second half as they finished the first, and took it to the Sounders early. Forward Brian Ching barely missed putting the Shadow on the scoreboard first, hitting a post after beating Sounders goalkeeper Preston Burpo one-on-one in the 49th minute.

Seattle, however, was able to score first and control the play after gaining their 1-0 lead in the 74th minute. Spokane desperately pushed forward during the final minutes, but the Sounders defense held. Seattle so far has not allowed a goal in exhibition play this season.

Rookie midfielder Ian Russell saw his first action as a Sounder, playing the second half. Russell has been nagged by ankle and knee injuries. David Hoggan and Paul Gelvezon stayed in Seattle, resting back and groin injuries, respectively; both are expected back for the Montreal match.

"This was a good chance to give our players a chance to get a quality game in before Montreal," Sounders Head Coach Neil Megson said. "We're going to have to play much better and with more composure if we want to be successful against the Impact."

The Sounders next host longtime A-League rival Montreal on Saturday, June 6 at 7:05 PM at Memorial Stadium in "Guaranteed Win Night." Montreal have never beaten the Sounders in regulation time; Seattle has a 7-1-2-0 (W-SW-SL-L) advantage in the series. Seattle and Montreal did not meet last season. The Sounders host the San Francisco Bay Seals on Wednesday, June 10.


Shots: Spokane 3, Seattle 10

Saves: Foust 8; Hudock 2, Burpo 2

Corners: Spokane 3, Seattle 2

Fouls: Spokane 13, Seattle 9

Offside: Spokane 1, Seattle 4


Annichero (S) cautioned 67'

Attendance: 3,657 (impressive!)