1999 July 7

Tennessee Rhythm 1 - 1 Seattle Sounders (Tennessee wins CrapShootout)
Battle Ground Acadamy Stadium, Franklin, TN
48' SEA: Storkson (Henderson)
71' TEN: Tomlinson (Schenkel)
Seattle: Preston Burpo; Kieran Barton, Jason Annichero, Scott Jenkins, Craig Waibel; Oliver Heald, Shan Gaw, Sean Henderson, Randy Mann (Erik Storkson 16); Ian Russell, Mark Baena (Peter Hattrup 34).
Tennessee: Gary Germaine (Adam Burke 103); Kevin McNamee, Ben Fisher, Adam Cohen; Chad Frasier, Doug Schenkel, Danny DeVall, Nick Potter, Ross Comeaux; Lincoln Ziyenge, Craig Tomlinson. Other subs: Chris Van Atta, Shane Barrett, Matt Mittelstaedt, David Moss.

Match report by Ron Stickney, based on the radio broadcast on KKOL 1300-AM, which was well-called by Chris Hester:

The Seattle Sounders ended their long, 3-match road trip with a 1-1 tie; the Tennessee Rhythm won the CrapShootout to pick up the odd point. After a relatively uneventful first half, Erik Storkson gave the Sounders the lead three minutes into the second half. Seattle gained a man advantage 12 minutes later when Kevin McNamee was sent off for pulling Storkson down on a breakaway, but Craig Tomlinson scored the short-handed goal to level the score. Seattle had a lot of ripe chances for a go-ahead goal, and Tennessee had a few, but neither side could finish.

This was Seattle's fifth road match in a row that was played in 90+ degree weather. Seattle were without Ralph Robertson and Viet Nguyen.

First Half

In the opening minute, Sean Henderson saw Tennessee's goalkeeper, Gary Germaine, off his line and almost sneaked a shot over him.

Tennessee saw their first good chance at 14' when Lincoln Ziyenge beat three defenders, drew a fourth and final defender, and dished off to Tomlinson, but Tomlinson missed badly.

Sounders coach Neil Megson had to go to the bench early, sending Storkson on for the injured Randy Mann at 16'.

Midway in the half Ian Russell crossed to Mark Baena to create Seattle's first good chance. Germaine made the save and Baena came up limping with a sore right hamstring. Ten minutes later Megson would go to his scarce bench again (he had only the three player-coaches and a spare keeper left) and send on Peter Hattrup for Baena. Baena is scheduled to play in the A-League All Star match tomorrow in Virginia Beach, VA, but may have to miss the match now.

Tennessee's only other shots in the half came from a couple of free kick plays around 27'. Doug Schenkel's 30-yarder was knocked down and grabbed by goalkeeper Preston Burpo. The wall stopped the other free kick, and a second shot forced a save by Burpo.

Then it was Seattle's turn. Oliver Heald's throw-in was headed by Russell to the far post for Storkson, whose header forced a save by Germaine. Hattrup put a free kick on goal that was saved. The last good chance of the half came when Russell's cross past the goal was headed down by Scott Jenkins for Hattrup, who shot too high.

Halftime:  Tennessee 0 - 0 Seattle

48' Storkson (Henderson). Storkson put away Seattle's first good chance in the second half. Sean Henderson's cross was deflected by a defender, then by the keeper Germaine who had come out for the cross, then headed in by Storkson who was eight yards out from the far post. TEN 0 - 1 SEA.

Tennessee soon had a chance for the equalizer when a loose ball in the penalty area rattled off several players including the keeper Burpo before escaping over the goal line for a corner kick.

Jenkins served to Hattrup inside the area for a chance at an insurance goal, but Hattrup shot wide.

At 61' Seattle gained a man advantage. Storkson was sprung cleanly for a breakaway up the middle and McNamee clotheslined Storkson at the edge of the penalty area to prevent the shot. A mandatory red card was warranted for the foul during Storkson's obvious goal-scoring opportunity, and the referee promptly sent McNamee off. Two minutes later another red card could have been shown when Ziyenge committed a foul, then punched Seattle's Jason Annicchero while the referee had his back turned, but the assistant referees apparently missed what the radio announcer saw.

Seattle soon had a couple more chances at a second goal. Russell beat two defenders and carried the ball to the end line before crossing for Heald, but Heald shot wide of the near post when he could have done better. Then Russell wasted a golden opportunity when Storkson flicked the ball on with the head, but Russell rifled his shot onto the cross bar.

71' Tomlinson (Schenkel). Seattle paid the price for failing to net the insurance goal. Schenkel sent a ball for Tomlinson inside the area. Tomlinson darted around his marker to get a foot on the ball and beat Burpo with a near-post shot. TEN 1 - 1 SEA.

At 75' Tennessee used their last three field substitutes to replace the weary.

Several good chances and near chances were earned by Seattle during the rest of regulation time, but the Sounders could not reach the net. Russell took a good shot after Heald held the ball in the danger zone, but Germaine made the save and Seattle settled for a corner kick. Storkson had a good chance from the corner kick, but shot too high. Henderson beat a few defenders on his way up the middle into the area, then forced a diving save by Germaine; the rebound gave Russell a great chance but he wasted his volley wide.

Near the end of the half substitute Matt Mittelstaedt got the ball when a Tennessee corner kick was rejected by Seattle's defense. Mittelstaedt skipped a 25-yarder in on goal but Burpo saved, and they were on to overtime.

Seattle had outshot Tennessee 20-12 during the first 90 minutes.

Regulation Time:  Tennessee 1 - 1 Seattle

Just 30 seconds into the overtime period, Hattrup tried to claim the golden goal for Seattle with a shot that was just wide of the far post.

For Tennessee, substitute Chris Van Atta chest-trapped the ball inside the penalty area and put a shot on goal, but it wasn't good enough to beat Burpo.

Seattle had the final chances. Russell tried a first-touch shot from Jenkins' pass but was wide of the near post. From Storkson's pass, Russell tried to chip Germaine but missed the net.

With two minutes left, Tennessee changed goalkeepers for the CrapShootout, sending on Adam Burke for Germaine.

Final:  Tennessee 1 - 1 Seattle


Seattle                      Tennessee
Hattrup   0 (saved)          Fisher       1
Gaw       0 (high)           DeVall       0 (saved)
Henderson 1                  Barrett      0 (high)
Barton    0 (saved)          Mittelstaedt 0 (saved)
Heald     0 (hit left post)  Cohen        1
Shots:  TEN 16, SEA 24
Saves:  Germaine 11, Burke 0; Burpo 4
Fouls:  TEN 10, SEA 23
Offsides:  TEN 0, SEA 1
Corner kicks:  TEN 9, SEA 5
21' Jenkins (SEA) cautioned for taking down Potter
61' McNamee (TEN) sent off for taking down Storkson during a breakaway
74' Russell (SEA) cautioned for a foul
78' Gaw (SEA) cautioned, probably for persistent infringement
Referee: Reza Namavar; Asst. Refs: David Lakins, Chip Fuller, Fourth Official: John Raider