1999 July 10
Seattle Sounders Selects 0 - 2 Willamette Valley Firebirds
Shoreline Stadium, Shoreline, WA
32' WV: Kummernes
71' WV: Howes
Seattle: James Dickinson; Travis Pozega, Marcus Byeman (Jeff Whiting 75), Mike Casale; Nick Downing, Benjamin Somoza, Gabe Provenza, Joe Partridge, Chris Farnsworth; Nick Kalafatich, Peter Bergford (Dayo Oyetuga 69).
Willamette Valley: Bryan Hill; Peter Kavanaugh, Eric Wooten, Eric Merten; Freddy Kummernes, Bryn Ritchie, Scott Tomlins, Greg Howes; Scott Tedder, Casey Fries (Danny Angelo 61), Jason Crevar (JP Capodanno 30).

Match report from Ron Stickney:
The Seattle Sounders Selects fell to the division-leading Willamette Valley Firebirds 2-0. Unassisted goals were scored for the visitors by Freddy Kummernes and Greg Howes, and both shots were excellent strikes. Both goals came after defensive errors by the Selects, while the Firebirds managed to avoid such critical mistakes.

First Half

Seattle's Gabe Provenza put the first shot on goal 10 minutes in, but the shot was right at goalkeeper Bryan Hill. Ben Somoza ran onto a loose ball two minutes later and fired a 30-yarder that missed the top near corner by a yard.

Greg Howes, who scored twice his last trip to Seattle, soon earned Willamette Valley's first good shot when he eluded a double team to fire a 25-yarder up the middle that just missed the bottom left corner. At 20' Peter Kavanaugh tried a 25-yard shot from a dropped pass in the middle and just missed the top right corner.

32' Kummernes. From his own penalty area, Provenza sent an ill-advised, low pass straight up the middle right to Willamette Valley's Kummernes, who had no Seattle players near him. Kummernes controlled the ball and fired from 35 yards, hitting the top far corner when James Dickinson was only about two steps out of position. SEA 0 - 1 WV.

At 38' Provenza, working hard to redeem himself, fired a nice, low 35-yarder up the middle that forced a diving save by Hill. With two minutes left in the half, Nick Kalafatich first switched the play to Mike Casale near the left touch line, then got his head on Casale's cross sent to the far post, but Kalafatich couldn't quite reach all of the ball and was just wide with the shot.

Halftime: Seattle 0 - 1 Willamette Valley

Willamette Valley's Howes nearly netted an insurance goal early in the second half when he won a loose ball in the penalty area, turned around a defender, and fired a low shot that hit the inside of the near post and rebounded along the goal mouth and passed mere inches from the opposite post before the spin took the ball out for a goal kick.

For Seattle, Peter Bergford's head just beat the keeper to a long throw-in from Somoza. The ball popped up and when it came down, Kalafatich headed it on goal nicely. Hill recovered just in time to push the shot wide for a corner kick. This would prove to be Seattle's only shot of the second half, as perhaps they were tired from playing their fourth half within 24 hours.

71' Howes. Howes won a loose ball ten yards into Seattle territory and started a 2-on-1 break when two Seattle defenders committed to the tackle and failed. As he crossed the 18-yard line, Howes faked a pass left, fooling the remaining defender, and touched the ball right into space. Howes placed his shot perfectly, low and just inside the far post. SEA 0 - 2 WV.

The final 20 minutes saw just one more good shot, taken by Willamette Valley's substitute JP Capodanno, who carried into the area and tried a low shot that Dickinson anticipated and saved.

With five minutes left, Willamette Valley keeper Hill came out to charge a shot by Kalafatich; the blast hit Hill in the face, giving him a bloody nose, but the save proved unnecessary as Kalafatich was flagged offside on the play. Hill appeared to be okay after play was stopped for a couple of minutes.

Final: Seattle 0 - 2 Willamette Valley

Shots: SEA 9, WV 11
Saves: Dickinson 1, Hill 4
Corners: SEA 3, WV 2
Fouls: SEA 11, WV 5
Offside: SEA 5, WV 1

56' Capodanno (WV) cautioned for chopping down Pozega late.

Referee: Jim Kokenos